1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality ties?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sandcracker21, Feb 4, 2013.

1. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

Does anyone have an experience with Jack Franklin ties? www.wearjack.com

Seems pretty decent for a good price.

2. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

3. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

Well I'll take that as a no, BUT... I'm pretty new to this formal style thing, so I would still like some advice.

I just got my first 'real' suit. Its a black Jam/Sharp by Hugo Boss. I have a variety of fitted dress shirts (dark blue, light blue, black, white, slate, etc.) I only have two ties and they are both the 9.99 from Kohls variety. So if anyone could help me pick out four new ties from www.wearjack.com I would appreciate it. Thanks!

4. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

Well I'll take that as a no, BUT... I'm pretty new to this formal style thing, so I would still like some advice.

I just got my first 'real' suit. Its a black Jam/Sharp by Hugo Boss. I have a variety of fitted dress shirts (dark blue, light blue, black, white, slate, etc.) I only have two ties and they are both the 9.99 from Kohls variety. So if anyone could help me pick out four new ties from www.wearjack.com I would appreciate it. Thanks!

5. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

6. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

EDIT: looks like my computer just went nuts! sorry about the triple post!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Duke63

Duke63 Senior member

I've never used that site before but if you're looking for ties on a budget, I'd check out thetiebar.com. They're not bad for the price, and have a decent selection.

8. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

I think I am having trouble visualizing the varies ties with my suit and shirts. Hard to pick out just kind of imagining them.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If possible, return the suit. Black is a difficult color to wear during the daytime (you'll be in a constant state of looking like you are on the way to a funeral)...though I doubt any but a few will really care. I've got nothing against Boss...a lot of people do...but see if you can get the same suit in navy or charcoal.

Never heard of the tie site, but it seems pretty sketchy. Any place that makes up "list prices" so it can sell them for 20% of that as a "special price" is probably one that should be avoided. I've never bought a tie from tiebar before, but the pocket squares I've purchased from them leave much to be desired. If this is a suit that you are only going to be wearing occasionally, I think you should spring for a nicer tie from one of our lovely affiliate vendors/SF favorites (Kent Wang, Sam Hober, Henry Carter, Howard Yount, Panta, etc)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  10. sandcracker21

sandcracker21 Member

I bought the suit mainly because I have four weddings in a three month span, and I have always liked the look of a crisp black suit. The Boss suit, while fussed, fits like a glove and looks great.

The Kent Wang store is a little expensive (even though I just bought my pocket squares from there) I guess I'll just shop around a little more? Like I said I'm having a hard time visualizing a tie while online. Probably because I never wear suits.

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Your black suit will be awesome in the evenings. I'd wear the pin dot tie I linked to above with your suit for those wedding parties. Have fun!

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Do not buy ties online unless you get a good recommendation on them. I have no experience with the company personally but you want to make sure your ties knot properly and can achieve a decent dimple if you like that look. There's just no way to be sure of that with a random company. The forum affiliates mentioned by Claghorn are a good place to start and I would strongly second the Sam Hober recommendation. Yes, you will pay more, but you will get a beautiful, well-crafted tie handmade with high quality silk.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/245529/a-sam-and-david-hober-tie-appreciation-thread

If you're curious about the dislike of black suits around here, just do a search for black suit. Not going to hijack an unrelated thread for that tangent, but since it came up...

All black, grey and blue for your first five ties? I disagree. I think a black grenadine, navy grenadine (or midnight grenadine with pindots, just got a new Hober and it's wonderful) and some sort of silver / grey tie would make sense to be on this list, but five ties with only these types of colors? At least one burgundy and either a lighter blue, pink or lilac. Maybe even green. I think once you have one black, one navy and one grey tie, you branch out until you have a few decent colors. Maybe on tie number 8 or so, you get back into these three colors.

14. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

It's a basic tie wardrobe. Not billed as an impressive one.

16. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Dude I would recommend looking at Paul Stuart, Robert Talbott, Ben Silver or Brooks Brothers for some good ideas. I'd go with something classic. Nice stripes, nice pattern. The Monochromatic tie look only looks good on Donald Trumpv[​IMG] so just start with that. I actually think nice shoes are a better investment than nice ties, for what it's worth.

17. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Do you really think Donald Trump's ties look good?

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

None of these are bad places to get a tie. If the price is too much more than $80, however, then I think it is just silly not to get a Hober unless there are particular patterns that you like at these places. I disagree completely that solid ties do not look good on most people. Some of the best dressed men in history wore almost nothing but solid ties. Yes, the cheap looking satin tie is one thing, but solids with less shine to them, not to mention solid colored grenadines with a bit of texture all look great. Shoes are important too (and in investment terms may be better), but we're not talking about buying 20 ties here. If he's getting 3-5, then we're talking the cost of one pair of Allen Edmonds or Aldens, nevermind nicer shoes. At some point you've got to upgrade everything, even if it does take awhile.
    I was thinking the same thing. Trump can afford to get away with looking like crap is the difference. The ties aren't as bad as the hair, so it could be worse.

19. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

But it's bad. If you need six ties for all purposes, the pindot is essential, plus maybe one of the solids, but not the rest. No. Not enough variety for different needs. Switch one to a solid knit tie (navy, brown, burgundy or maybe green), plus a dark solid or simple striped wool tie, and maybe some sort of brighter stripe or check tie.

Six ties, nothing outlandish, but more versatile