• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality ties?

sandcracker21

Reaction score
Well I'll take that as a no, BUT... I'm pretty new to this formal style thing, so I would still like some advice.

I just got my first 'real' suit. Its a black Jam/Sharp by Hugo Boss. I have a variety of fitted dress shirts (dark blue, light blue, black, white, slate, etc.) I only have two ties and they are both the 9.99 from Kohls variety. So if anyone could help me pick out four new ties from www.wearjack.com I would appreciate it. Thanks!

sandcracker21

Reaction score
Well I'll take that as a no, BUT... I'm pretty new to this formal style thing, so I would still like some advice.

I just got my first 'real' suit. Its a black Jam/Sharp by Hugo Boss. I have a variety of fitted dress shirts (dark blue, light blue, black, white, slate, etc.) I only have two ties and they are both the 9.99 from Kohls variety. So if anyone could help me pick out four new ties from www.wearjack.com I would appreciate it. Thanks!

sandcracker21

Reaction score

sandcracker21

Reaction score
EDIT: looks like my computer just went nuts! sorry about the triple post!

Last edited:

Duke63

Reaction score
I've never used that site before but if you're looking for ties on a budget, I'd check out thetiebar.com. They're not bad for the price, and have a decent selection.

sandcracker21

Reaction score
I think I am having trouble visualizing the varies ties with my suit and shirts. Hard to pick out just kind of imagining them.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If possible, return the suit. Black is a difficult color to wear during the daytime (you'll be in a constant state of looking like you are on the way to a funeral)...though I doubt any but a few will really care. I've got nothing against Boss...a lot of people do...but see if you can get the same suit in navy or charcoal.

Never heard of the tie site, but it seems pretty sketchy. Any place that makes up "list prices" so it can sell them for 20% of that as a "special price" is probably one that should be avoided. I've never bought a tie from tiebar before, but the pocket squares I've purchased from them leave much to be desired. If this is a suit that you are only going to be wearing occasionally, I think you should spring for a nicer tie from one of our lovely affiliate vendors/SF favorites (Kent Wang, Sam Hober, Henry Carter, Howard Yount, Panta, etc)

Last edited:

sandcracker21

Reaction score
I bought the suit mainly because I have four weddings in a three month span, and I have always liked the look of a crisp black suit. The Boss suit, while fussed, fits like a glove and looks great.

The Kent Wang store is a little expensive (even though I just bought my pocket squares from there) I guess I'll just shop around a little more? Like I said I'm having a hard time visualizing a tie while online. Probably because I never wear suits.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your black suit will be awesome in the evenings. I'd wear the pin dot tie I linked to above with your suit for those wedding parties. Have fun!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not buy ties online unless you get a good recommendation on them. I have no experience with the company personally but you want to make sure your ties knot properly and can achieve a decent dimple if you like that look. There's just no way to be sure of that with a random company. The forum affiliates mentioned by Claghorn are a good place to start and I would strongly second the Sam Hober recommendation. Yes, you will pay more, but you will get a beautiful, well-crafted tie handmade with high quality silk.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/245529/a-sam-and-david-hober-tie-appreciation-thread

If you're curious about the dislike of black suits around here, just do a search for black suit. Not going to hijack an unrelated thread for that tangent, but since it came up...

Recommended basic tie wardrobe: http://frankfurtstyle.tumblr.com/image/42573142052

Pin dot tie for your black suit, party outfit: http://frankfurtstyle.tumblr.com/image/42266389726

All black, grey and blue for your first five ties? I disagree. I think a black grenadine, navy grenadine (or midnight grenadine with pindots, just got a new Hober and it's wonderful) and some sort of silver / grey tie would make sense to be on this list, but five ties with only these types of colors? At least one burgundy and either a lighter blue, pink or lilac. Maybe even green. I think once you have one black, one navy and one grey tie, you branch out until you have a few decent colors. Maybe on tie number 8 or so, you get back into these three colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads