• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Suits

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
Could someone please advise if MEXX and JOSEPH ABBOUD produce quality suits.

Kind regards,

inlandisland

Reaction score
Stay away from Mexx.

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
Could you please say why?

inlandisland

Reaction score
For starters everything they make is polyester, viscose, rayon, or some combination thereof. Occassionally there is a wool blend, but firstly the fabric is not what anyone would classify as 'quality'.

Secondly, they pander to really trendy looks so you'll likely end up with a suit you can't wear and will regret buying because it's a bad color, it's too shiny, etc.

Finally, they try to cater to people who expect to walk away with an OTR suit that looks fully tailored and 'modern', so you'll likely end up with really low rise pants and 'slim' jacket as opposed to a properly tailored/altered suit that you can wear for a long time.

I used to like Mexx before I knew anything about clothing, but luckily never wasted my money on a suit. The only thing I would still consider getting at Mexx would be an extra slim-fit dress shirt if on a really good sale, as they fit me pretty well, but that won't likely happen because I no longer set foot into their stores.

If the Joseph Abboud is in your price range and is 100% wool I'd go with that over Mexx, but if you're not in a rush I'd say KEEP READING THIS SITE BY USING THE SEARCH FUNCTION and you'll probably realize you have more options than you think.

ShoesYouCanUse

Reaction score
I appreciate your response. It's been a long time since I've purchased a rack suit and was thinking to do something in a rush for a party on Saturday in Galveston, Texas.

Again, I appreciate your response.

Best regards,

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to Joseph Abboud these days but there was a time when they used to make some pretty decent sports coats and suits for what they cost. I have a few sport coats from way back from JA and I rather like them a lot.

I hear the quality has declined since Abboud himself was pushed out of his company and I haven't seen what he's doing with his new label Jaz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads