• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality suits around 1k?

tnc1

Reaction score
So Im looking at some quality suits that are half or full canvas for bi weekly wear around 1k. I know full canvas is gonna cost more. Im trying to upgrade my suit collection. This is what Ive found or experienced so far. Please chime in and let me know your feedback. Any tips, info, recommendations would be helpful.

* Emporio Armani $800-$1800 - I have one and the pinch test seems to feel like half canvas. My tailor, sales reps at Armani, Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus they says are half canvas. Research online points to 50/50 half canvas/fused. Fit is really good, quality between good and ok. Armani's 800# has said EA can come in both fused and half canvas, so there's no generalization outside their stuff on their main online website today is all fused and would list if its half or full canvas. Also stores can carry both.

* Armani Collezioni $500-$1k - Looks fashion trendy but the sales people at Armani both said their fused. Fit was good and quality ok.

* Boss Hugo Boss $600-1k - Bought one returned it. Fit was ok and quality was meh. Felt fused, sales people at Nordstrom said fused but at Hugo Boss said fully lined canvas. Customer service bad! The Hugo you see at Macy's and Nordstrom Rack Hugo Boss generally over priced junk.

* Ted Baker $500-1k - Fit was great and quality ok but it's fused.

* Bonobos $700-$1200 - Great customer service not pushy. Fit and fell was good. Ability to mix and match different fits like athletic top with slim bottom or various combinations. Not a lot of complaints just kinda of bland. Doesnt really grab you with esthetic appeal.

* Suit Supply $600 -$1200 - Customer service isnt great, Bad sales people at multiple stores. Fabric and feel was good. Their online site was somewhat user friendly. The quality was good. Just turned off by staff.

* Hickey Freeman $600-$1500 - Ive found good sales on Nordstrom Rack but worry about it being lower end stuff. They generally dont fit me as well OTR and would need much alterations.

* Brooks Brothers $300-$1400 - Ive seen some good deals at their outlets but always worried about the quality. Didnt seem or feel that great. Haven't put hands on their more expensive stuff yet which Ive been told are full canvas.

* Saks $300-1k - Their stuff is just way all over the map on quality. They sometimes have a buy 3 for $899 or $999. Seems like a good deal. Fit is great for me but anything under 1k retail seem to be fused.

* Joseph Abboud 1k+ I like Joseph Abboud not the Joe brand they have thats just bad. Half canvas and Im considering but need to get more info. ive had some of their older suits prior to men's wearhouse and they we're great.

Have not looked at Oliver Wicks or Black Lapel due to the measuring.........would rather go into a store and get measured and put my hands/feel the materials. Dislike dealing with complex returns and a lot of back and forth.

Last edited:

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the designer stuff like armani and boss. Fused and overpriced.

Suitsupply in-store MTM is generally a very good option if you live in a popular area and the tailor is competent.

Brooks Brothers have some sales right now but I haven't tested anything from them.

Can't comment on any of the rest as they are not easily accessible here in Sweden.

Spier and Mackay have some sales right now too and good reputation.

Good luck and let us know what you went with!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saks or Saks off Fifth? Volume discounts like that are more like something you’d find at SOF.

At retail and at that price point, barring discounts, I would also consider Samuelsohn. A bit more than $1k, but dollar for dollar about as good a value in tailored clothing as you’ll find.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the designer stuff like armani and boss. Fused and overpriced.

Suitsupply in-store MTM is generally a very good option if you live in a popular area and the tailor is competent.

Brooks Brothers have some sales right now but I haven't tested anything from them.

Can't comment on any of the rest as they are not easily accessible here in Sweden.

Spier and Mackay have some sales right now too and good reputation.

Good luck and let us know what you went with!
+1 S&M

Their OTR suits are great and far below $1k.

If OP likes the fit or knows what tweaks to add, MTO with full canvas is still below $1k USD.

compuccesory

Reaction score
1) If it doesn't fit great then don't bother. That takes care of 2/3 of your list.
2) I guess between Emporio Armani, Ted Baker and Bonobos, I would go with Bonobos. You can regularly get them for around the $300 on sale.
3) I kind of feel like EA is a bit of a different look than the other two. In what way did you think the fit was good? Do you want natural shoulders or more structured? Do you have slim shoulders or are you a bit more bulky?

Stilig

Reaction score
I honestly think it's very hard to beat Caruso in that price range. For some reason, I much prefer them to the other usual suspects such as Corneliani and Canali. The quality is excellent. They make for half of the "top-rated" brands in the forum's quality ranking list that's floating around, and they have so many cuts that you're bound to find something that fits you.

tnc1

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I agree fit is key. Then finding the right balance of fabric quality, construction, quality of company, etc fall into the mix. Of course if I had an unlimited budget I wouldn't have to put as much effort and research to be a more informed buyer.

I'll check into Spier & MaKay more. They have some good non shill reviews on YouTube. Thats another caveat to watch is some of the reviews and articles written about some designers seem as paid for and unauthentic. Suit Supply if theyre weren't so bad at customer service in my experiences I may give them more of a lot. I do like the Canali stuff and try to catch a good sale but never have my size.

Many websites for OTR do not have a lot of details like pant rise (Im sorry but the way too tight look is painful for certain reasons lol). I cannot handle a '10 rise, it hurts ??. Plus photo quality and clunky user interface doesn't help. Im more of a slim build but I cannot wear skinny fit and barely fit into slim fits without taking out a bunch. I do not like the over tight can't breathe/move/turn look. I have sat in rooms and just watching stuff on tv where people have their suits so tight like they will pop or are so stiff can't relax. But hey if you like that and can pull it of, please do you and enjoy.

As for EA off the rack their G and M line fit me well without much alterations in different areas. The drape and shoulder fit is good on both is good. I do need minor sleeve and take in. The pants on both are that are the classic not trim fit versions just need hem for me. Im not sure about their trim fit.

Last edited:

compuccesory

Reaction score
My view on Armani is that they have a pretty particular cut - somewhat extended shoulders, medium gorge, but slim everywhere else, that isn't super in-vogue right now and IMO only fits a small number of people. If you like it then I'm not sure there are any cheaper alternatives, but you can find them for reasonable prices on Yoox. I found a nice Giorgio Armani suit there for around $500 once, returned it because I'm not super into that particular style and $500 for a half canvas suit is a lot of money, but the cloth was quite nice and the cut is quite special.

tnc1

Reaction score
My view on Armani is that they have a pretty particular cut - somewhat extended shoulders, medium gorge, but slim everywhere else, that isn't super in-vogue right now and IMO only fits a small number of people. If you like it then I'm not sure there are any cheaper alternatives, but you can find them for reasonable prices on Yoox. I found a nice Giorgio Armani suit there for around $500 once, returned it because I'm not super into that particular style and $500 for a half canvas suit is a lot of money, but the cloth was quite nice and the cut is quite special.

Were all have different body types and for mine Armani styles in general work for me jacket and pants better/limited alterations. However, they are more limited in style, very safe/less bold. Some what over priced at MSRP/retail. I look into them more because of fit.

Bonobos is something I will also jump in on more when stores open and they have updated/new stuff coming. Fit is key to any suit. Ted Baker (fused) is a great fit but for the cost Im better getting at least a half canvas.

Yoox has so many bad reviews and customer experiences I don't trust them or want the hassle. Thats why I prefer checking/shopping Saks, Saks Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus, Century 21, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom for stuff on sale. Those sites have somewhat better customer service and return policies when not in final sale.

Last edited:

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ever tried on Ring Jacket (from local Nordstrom), you can buy a suit for $650-$1200 from Lamarche in South Korea. David Jang, the owner, is a great guy and he can help you with sizing if you have a general idea of how Ring Jacket models fit.

I bought a Handgrade Ring Jacket suit from him through Instagram DM. Full canvas and a decent amount of handwork. The regular line might be more comfortable because Handgrade has a higher armhole, which might feel weird for a lot of people. Regular RJs are also full canvas. Shipping is around $50 to the states.

Use Google Translate to browse his website haha. http://blog.naver.com/dnrtka

Evergreen88

Reaction score
If you like Italian suits, Boggi is a great option. They have three lines, the cheapest one is fused and not made in Italy, I would steer clear from it. The other two lines are both made in Italy, one is half canvassed and the other full canvassed. They retail respectively around 600-700€ and 900-1200€.

tnc1

Reaction score
I got this from Suit Supply online. Fits great, customer service online and in stores is so terrible! The quality and fit of the suit is solid though especially at the price point. Bonobos has some nice light weight stuff for the summer but I need to go in and check my fit again.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
As others said, Spier and Mackay needs to be on or near the top of this list. Quality for the money is off the charts. Great fabrics to choose from, and you can go MTO full canvas for less than $1K. And if you’re lucky enough to fit the OTR size, you can get into a great half canvas suit for right around $320. I own a bright navy Guabello suit from Spier that’s just fantastic. Shape is classic and lapels are shapely and well proportioned. Construction details and quality are up there with anything in the $1000-$1500 range, which is what makes it such a knock out from a value standpoint.

Ctkjjk

Reaction score
Start investigating Tailor‘s from Hong Kong that sell abroad, tourism is down in Hong Kong from the virus and had already started going down during the protest.
I used this store and use them when they travel, Great workmanship, I just bought a signer bespoke suit for approximately 1K. Suggest you reach out to them they have sale going on until June 1

Or look around at other Hong Kong outlets

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads