• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality suit for young guy

ml77

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum although I have already read it a bit.

I just bought a Hugo Boss overcoat wool/cashmere at almost retail price. I know that Hugo Boss is not the best quality you can get but I absolutely loved the cut. I am young and after shopping for some time I did not see anything fitting that well. I think it's because most overcoat are not made for people in their 20s.

I guess buying an overcoat from Hugo Boss is less "unforgivable" than a suit. I will soon need a new suit, an excellent one that will last for years. I have looked a bit into the Italian makers but I would like your advice. Given that I am young, slim (5'10", 141 lb), what brand should I look more closely?
Usually the problem I encounter with suits is that they are too loose around my waist but it seems that many Italian brands have more fitted cuts.

Anyway thank you for your help!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd look at theory. Wait until they go on sale, they're cut slim and modern for the young man. Full price they're $750-1000, but they can be had for half that if you find them at the right time.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Holts, Ogilvies and Rosen at sale time, you should be able to find a 38S on sale from one of their trendy brands, these will fit you the best. Even on sale they are usually around 700 min. for a decent enttry level quality brand, so I'm not sure how this fits your budget.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL Black Label comes to mind. I am currently looking at a Hickeystyle suit myself. They are cut pretty slim as well.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
RL Black Label comes to mind. I am currently looking at a Hickeystyle suit myself. They are cut pretty slim as well.

Anyone know where to find RLBL ? Toronto or Montreal?

ml77

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Regarding my budget, I would say it's about $500-700 but I will go up to 1000 for an excellent brand.

LVoer, any specific brand?

I am going to look for RLBL, Holt Renfrew in Montreal has Ralph Lauren, don't know about Black Label though.

What about Brioni, Attolini, Zegna...? Is it out of reach for me?

Thanks

SwedishFish

Reaction score
The new J Crew suits look pretty good and you can get them in any of the basic colors/patterns, slim or traditional pants, and 2-button as well as 3-roll-2 button jackets. They're quite expensive @ their full retail price and I don't know good they are in terms of quality. I wouldn't buy them at full retail but they look like they could make nice deals on sale.

free man

Reaction score
As long as you find a good tailor, you can make a suit fit pretty damn good as long as it basically fit you in the first place. Try and find one with the right length and a good fit on the shoulders, a tailor can easily take in the jacket and slim it down to fit you.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ml77

Thanks

Ummm, Brioni - seriously? You're looking at many thousands of dollars. Even the big NYC discount store sells them for $2499. And they're anything but the slim/modern fit.

Ermenegildo Zegna would also be very tough to find at that price point, unless it's in a weird color or size. Plus they aren't cut any better for young people. Look at their lower line, Z-Zegna as they'll be cut thinner and they are cheaper (though made in Mexico, not Italy).

phillyesq

Reaction score
If you want a dependable first suit, I'd look at Brooks Brothers. The Fitzgerald is the most slim cut suit that they offer. Their semi-annual sale after Christmas usually has good values -- probably the neighborhood of 25% off, which would bring one of these suits into your price range.

ml77

Reaction score
Thanks for the new replies. I am going to look for Brooks Brothers and J Crew.
Freeman you are right, when I try on a suit maybe I am focusing too much on fit while it may be something adaptable.
Gomestar, interesting I thought that these brands, alhough not fashion oriented, were quite modern. Anyway it's not in my budget...

I went to Holt Renfrew in Montreal and they have Ralph Lauren BL suits. The two I liked were about $2000 so I guess with a nice discount next month, it might come in my price range. Still, isn't it expensive for a fused suit?
Anyways contrary to the overcoat which I didn't find anywhere else, there are many good suits out there and I got time to wait for big discounts, so I am going to keep looking and learn more about quality suits in the meantime.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you looked at the offerings from SF's own Thick As Thieves? It fits your budget, the quality is excellent and it sounds like the sort of style you may be looking for.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ml77

Thanks

If you want something that will last for those many years, then looking this way may be an option. If you are prepared to drop 1000, likely a bit more, you can find a Brioni or like item from one of the banner sites above. ShoptheFinest, VirtualClothesHorse and eHaberdasher will all have incredible suits at steep discounts. Its just a matter of finding your size.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Have you looked at the offerings from SF's own Thick As Thieves? It fits your budget, the quality is excellent and it sounds like the sort of style you may be looking for.
+1. Here's a non-optimal photo of mine, but it should be enough to get the idea:
n39502820_33148625_2280.jpg

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+10000 for thick as thieves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics