• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality stuff by designer brands

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We all know about the general dislike toward designer brands in general but it would be good to have a list of what kind of quality stuff are made/offered by each designer brand.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of them are quality-made. They just don't have lasting appeal since fashions change by season.

hankwx

Reaction score
gucci shoes are really really good. the suits too.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I've been happy with Prada leather wallets and bags (doubtful about the shoes).

Their shoes are horrible, at least for the price. I would compare them to Cole Haan mainline. I think Cole Haan's italian line is better quality. I swear by Armani Black label, their fabric is amazing and they have a huge selection. Plus even their man made fibers are from Loro Piana, so they still feel really good. I think Bottega Venatta is amazing, same with Hermes. Kiton, and Brioni are great, aside from the piles of it you see in discount stores.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like Mantoni.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gucci and Versace shirts and tailored clothing are made by Zegna.

Prada tailored clothing is made by Belvest, and canvassed. Their black label line as a whole uses quality materials and construction.

Jil Sander is well-made, fully-canvased (not sure if this has changed in the past few seasons).

Michael Bastian stuff is made by Cucinelli.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Thom Browne stuff by Oxxford yet, other than SoCal (I'm guessing)?

The Greenfield stuff for Browne (was) and for Band of Outsiders (is) nice stuff.

Do we consider Ralph Lifschitz's employee's designers? If so, I'll be wearing my last remaining Purple Label by Chester Barrie from the inaugural season, c.1995, tomorrow. I still think it is nice.

- B

jordanfsu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hankwx
gucci shoes are really really good. the suits too.

+1 - I love all of my Gucci shoes

I just bought Varvatos chelsea boots from bloomers and the loop snapped when I was pulling them on. So much for "hand made in Italy" quality. And yes, I pulled them on without much force and while wearing thin dress socks. Not impressed...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Gucci and Versace shirts and tailored clothing are made by Zegna. Prada tailored clothing is made by Belvest, and canvassed. Their black label line as a whole uses quality materials and construction. Jil Sander is well-made, fully-canvased (not sure if this has changed in the past few seasons). Michael Bastian stuff is made by Cucinelli.
Prada has had two lines of suits for a few years now; the more expensive ones are Belvest and the "entry level" ones are Cantarelli, IIRC. The thing, overall, about brand goods is that most of them put out a quality product SOMEWHERE in their line, but sometimes it is hard to find because they also make a lot of crap to help out their bottom line. For example, Valentino has a "tailoring" subset of his mainline by Isaia which is very nice. Gianfranco Ferre had a line made by Attolini for a while, though these were different from his regular suits. Neverthelss, I've been consistently happy with the quality of clothing I've gotten from Alexander McQueen, Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, all the Gibo-produced brands (V&R, Hussein Chalayan, Marc Jacobs mainline), and YSL Rive Gauche, both under Ford and Pilati.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
designer is like hugo boss or thom browne or tom ford or prada. they have an idea of what they want to create, what aesthetic details to draw up.

they give those specs to a manufacturer or clothes like some various no name mills in italy or china. some are well known big names like Gibo Co Spa ( who makes for Marc Jacobs) or to even actual names that designs and manufacture their own designs like Belvest or Attolini.

but also tailor company like Attolini that makes their own suits outsource their shirt production to another company.

i think i am correct.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jordanfsu
+1 - I love all of my Gucci shoes

Do you have their loafers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads