• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Spectator Shoes?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear everyone,

Does anyone know of any good brands that have spectator shoes in sizes suitable for a gentleman with wide feet (EEE sized)? I am looking for quality calfskin, goodyear welting, etc., and all I've found so far is bad quality stuff online. I'd like to try sporting the spectator shoe, and outside of trying to find it vintage, it seems I'm running into a brick wall here.

I know some brands like Allen Edmonds -used- to make them, but they definitely aren't now.

Anyone got any leads for me?

Thanks.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand your pain on needing wide. Yenni recently did a run of these
Mack did this one:
That said, you'd have to wait for the next preorder to get in on a wide size as these are special runs. If you have never bought Alden before, it would be best if you know your Brannock or sizing in other brands because special orders (non-stock sizes like EEE) are not returnable for shop styles like this.
Depending on your size, there are on occasion NOS and lightly pairs of classic AE/Alden/Florsheim/Hanover/etc that pop up on ebay, etc. Worth checking the classifieds as well; a lot of collectors don't end up wearing their spectators much and pass them on with only a few wears. Also, you could dye or have them dyed after the fact.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cobbler Union quality is okay for a budget price shoe. I have a black cap toe from them and I haven't worn them sufficiently to properly break them in. As is the case with many lower-priced shoes, the leather is fairly stiff. If you are going to walk very far in CU, they're gonna hurt.

I very much doubt that you'll find EEE shoes off-the-shelf. Both Edward Green and Crockett & Jones have very nice tan & ivory spectator models. I do know that the Edward Green model is on their 82 last, which is not a wide last. You could probably have them make you a pair on the 202 last, which is wider, and in a wider fitting. Obviously that will be a surcharge on top of the retail price.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s always a made to order option as well, assuming you want to drop that kind of coin.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I sympathize deeply with this inquiry, because I wear a 9EEE and have wanted a pair of spectators for years, but been thwarted by my stupid barge feet.

So, I have nothing to add, but I'll be watching hopefully for any hints of prospects..

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE made one call the Broadstreet and it was actually a pretty handsome shoe. If I recall, it was chestnut and ivory. I should have snatched up a pair when they were on sale. Oh well.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Ben Silver stock wides? They pretty regularly stock C&J spectators

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AE made one call the Broadstreet and it was actually a pretty handsome shoe. If I recall, it was chestnut and ivory. I should have snatched up a pair when they were on sale. Oh well.
The broadstreet was available in several colorways (walnut/bone, black or brown and white, and brown/black). Strawfoots were linen specs. There's also the early 90s Olympians and a few years ago the March Madness webgems (pic your color spectators). If he's ok with navy and white or red and green, the 1776 (in summer) and Jingle Bell Mok (in fall/winter) are seasonal offerings I expect to return.
Lots of options to watch for second hand. May even be a few on the shoe bank depending on his size.
If weaves are spectator enough, AE does have these

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your pain on needing wide. Yenni recently did a run of these
Mack did this one:
That said, you'd have to wait for the next preorder to get in on a wide size as these are special runs. If you have never bought Alden before, it would be best if you know your Brannock or sizing in other brands because special orders (non-stock sizes like EEE) are not returnable for shop styles like this.
Depending on your size, there are on occasion NOS and lightly pairs of classic AE/Alden/Florsheim/Hanover/etc that pop up on ebay, etc. Worth checking the classifieds as well; a lot of collectors don't end up wearing their spectators much and pass them on with only a few wears. Also, you could dye or have them dyed after the fact.

Thank you so much, friend!

I have one pair of vintage Aldens that fit me very well. They're cordovan, though, which tend to fit me better than calfskin right off the bat. Thus I managed to squeeze into an 11.5 E for them, but cordovan shoes always tend to fit nice on me, so I wasn't as concerned.

I need -minimal- E depending on last, and in almost all lasts, EEE.

I'll hopefully find some nice vintage picks. I'd have no problem buying Floersheim or Hanover or AE or whatever. I have several pairs of vintage shoes, especially Hanovers LB Sheppherd cordovans, but I love.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like I am going to have to wait for the spectator shoes to come back in stock next year at Allen Edmonds if the CU people can't size me nicely. I'll try the CU folks, as Hugo Jacomet speaks so highly of them, but I need to be sure that I could get something that'd suit my wide feet, as it would be a complete waste to purchase and then be in terrible pain, and given how stiff their leather is notorious for being, I doubt I could stretch it out.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you so much, friend!

I have one pair of vintage Aldens that fit me very well. They're cordovan, though, which tend to fit me better than calfskin right off the bat. Thus I managed to squeeze into an 11.5 E for them, but cordovan shoes always tend to fit nice on me, so I wasn't as concerned.

I need -minimal- E depending on last, and in almost all lasts, EEE.

I'll hopefully find some nice vintage picks. I'd have no problem buying Floersheim or Hanover or AE or whatever. I have several pairs of vintage shoes, especially Hanovers LB Sheppherd cordovans, but I love.
Dang! Knowing your size, if I were unloading any spectators I'd be messaging you...I wear 11 to 11.5 in EE or EEE deepening on lasts.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang! Knowing your size, if I were unloading any spectators I'd be messaging you...I wear 11 to 11.5 in EE or EEE deepening on lasts.

Thanks friend! If you ever find some, tell me. I'm also occasionally in the market for various styles of shoes, so keep me in mind. I don't always bite, but I will definitely take a serious look.

I tend to buy vintage cordovan shoes because they tend to be in better condition owing to the resiliency of cordovan leather; however, I'd be also willing to buy calfskin if the condition is good. I don't generally buy beat up pairs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads