• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality shoes for under $250

Fabian1

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I know that there are several threads about this topic but most of them are older than two years.
Actually I'm doing my semester abroad here in the U.S.
Now I need some new shoes for the winter time and was thinking of a pair of goodyear welted captoe boots with a rubber sole.
What I found out so far was that AE has no good quality anymore, am I right with that?
Which brand offers a good quality for $250 and less?
I've heard about Cole Haan. Are they still recommendable?

Fabian

starro

Reaction score
Not that much has changed in 2 years. Those threads are still valuable.

Sactogeoff

Reaction score
Just a suggestion for you. If you want to order from within the USA.

http://www.jackerwin.com/products/chester-espresso-full-grain

But compared to Allen Edmonds, I think its debatable. AE is still a good sturdy shoe. Alternatively I would recommend looking at Yanko boots on Skolyx or Patine.pl

Yanko represents a very good value. Although you are mail ordering and judging the size. Good luck!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I know that there are several threads about this topic but most of them are older than two years.
Actually I'm doing my semester abroad here in the U.S.
Now I need some new shoes for the winter time and was thinking of a pair of goodyear welted captoe boots with a rubber sole.
What I found out so far was that AE has no good quality anymore, am I right with that?
Which brand offers a good quality for $250 and less?
I've heard about Cole Haan. Are they still recommendable?

Fabian

Moved this to our Menswear Advice forum. Cole Haan..no. AE still makes a good quality shoe for the price.

If you would consider saving up just a bit more, I would recommend these https://us.skoaktiebolaget.se/collections/carlos-santos

Last edited:

alolio

Reaction score
LL Bean isn't some obscure brand that only seven people have heard about, but the Katahdin Iron Mountain Boot is made in the USA, is well constructed and is $239 in cordovan, $189 in black. It's Goodyear welted and Vibram soled. While not a cap toe, it meets your other criteria, and you'll be able to exchange or return it easily if the fit isn't quite right. The quality will be on par with a Wolverine or Red Wing Boot, but it'll cost $100 less.

Alpha11

Reaction score
Wait AE does not make quality shoes/boot anymore? I have not heard of this! You want a "quality" boot/shoefor under 250.00 and have have issues with AE...? This will be a very interesting quest please report back what you comes up with. For me my feet are one of the most important body part I have as if they are not feeling good then everything else is going down hill. This is why I do not go cheap on my shoes.

SGTROCK

Reaction score
I have discovered J.Fitzpatrick although it is in the 300+ price range.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're asking for estate-bottled vintage at a Gallo price, but you're not too far off from some good deals. Move up to $300 and you'll find nice welted shoes from Meermin, made in Spain.

Last edited:

lodemia

Reaction score
Wait AE does not make quality shoes/boot anymore? I have not heard of this! You want a "quality" boot/shoefor under 250.00 and have have issues with AE...? This will be a very interesting quest please report back what you comes up with. For me my feet are one of the most important body part I have as if they are not feeling good then everything else is going down hill. This is why I do not go cheap on my shoes.
Now that I'm officially an old dude, I depend on companies who stand behind their product and admit mistakes. In my experience, AE is one of those rare brands that does both, while providing an economical service. I have added 4 pairs in the last month based on various sales, etc. Their CEO has been known to post and reply..

My experience with Cole Haan hasn't been as favorable, but they make shoes for every budget, and perhaps I have had a bad run of it. I am also a recovering deal-aholic, so I probably bought the worst of the worst.

Alpha11

Reaction score
When I worked in men's high fashion when I young, the hardest thing to help men understand was the importance of a high quality shoe.

I was never surprised to see a man willing to spend 1k plus on a suit but was too cheap to invest in what good pair of shoes like AE. "At some point a fool and his money will be separated" is what a old-timer sales Rep used to tell me or he would say "I' m too poor to buy cheap shoes".

Bower

Reaction score
Meermin is a great option at that price range.

shades9323

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds is good quality. People swear by their seconds sold at shoebank.com. Go there and put your size in the finder and select the 201 last and snag a pair of the First Avenue boots. They are $237. They may be lowering in price at the beginning of March as well.

vkn1

Reaction score

Alternatively I would recommend looking at Yanko boots on Skolyx or Patine.pl

Can you say why you recommend those web sites for ordering Yanko as opposed to the company's home site itself? Just curious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads