1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Shoe Brands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 5thave, Apr 22, 2005.

1. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

J M Weston is an another option that offers multiple widths and excellent construction.

2. marc37

marc37 Senior member

Loake are well constructed, the problem is that most of the shoes are grain corrected. (Grain corrected shoes don't age well).

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I have seen some Loakes 2 days ago and agree that their leather sucks.

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I have been a Ferragamo customer for about five years but that is ending because my tastes have changed and my demand for quality has increased. The higher end Ferragamo (definitely not Studio) are nice, but for the price, you can do so much better. Ferragamo has lots of choices for widths, so that may be an advantage to their shoes. And they usually have a matching belt for every shoe that can be cut to size.

5. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

I just got my first pair of Ferragamos for $69 at Nordstrom Rack, black loafer. I'm thrilled with how they look, and absolutely a step up from my current brand (J & M). [​IMG]

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I stand corrected. For $69, Ferragamos are a steal.

7. mjs

mjs Active Member

anyone have thoughts on mephisto shoes?

they are nothing at all like alden &c, not 'classic' by any stretch but very comfortable. I have picked up several pairs over the years at nordstrom rack for ~ 70 US each.

I am considering getting a boat shoe that they make, runs about 300$ I think, anyone have experience with them?

8. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Mephisto: French design (I think), made in Portugal (fact), high retail price (perception [$270 for a pair of sandals.), dull as stale popcorn (just my opinion).

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Good Lord, is that what Mephistos are running these days? Hardly seem worth it. Comfortable, well-built, and all the style of a lump of mud.

10. mjs

mjs Active Member

Right they're all pretty ugly looking.

I have gone through two pairs of what look like leather tennis shoes, i wear them jogging and hiking primarily... athletic shoes per se are much worse looking, in my opinion.

All the same, the boat shoe they make does seem as though it would be very comfortable, and boat shoes arent all that dapper to begin with.

11. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I'm actually wearing a pair of their boat shoes in tan right now (I believe they're called the Hurrikan). They are very comfortable and basically look like a pair of boat shoes. I also have a pair of their penny loafers in black (which are just like the boat shoes except they have the penny loafer strap instead of the tongue and laces). Also very comfortable.

Many of their designs do leave a lot to be desired. You also have to not mind having the Mephisto label sewn onto the shoes (although I suppose this can always be cut off). Generally, very comfortable and well constructed. They're great to take on any vacation when you're going to be doing a lot of walking (but the same thing can be said about sneakers). I don't know whether I'd say they are worth the price or not, but the stylings are definitely not to everyone's tastes. I believe Mephisto also offers a recrafting service, so, theoretically, a pair can last a long while.

12. HoustonBusiness

HoustonBusiness Active Member

I just picked up a pair of Joseph Cheaney shoes at Saks Off 5th for $116. The Hobart model. Extremely solid shoe and, from what I can tell, a very reputable shoemaker that is now owned by Church's.