• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Versace suits v. RLBL? or just in general?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to check the opinion of the quality of Versace suits (the current ones not the older 'classic' models). I have tried a few on and they fit quite nice and look great. The price point isnt too high I think around $1100-$1800 and they can be had on sale quite often for around $600-$900. Also how would you rank them compared to RLBL which also fits me perfect and go for around the same price, I am assuming the RLBL quality is a bit above Versace but from just comparing the two in person I really couldnt tell...

Zubberah

Reaction score
Which line of Versace suits - Versace Collection? Versace Classic? While it's easy for the uninformed to say quality on the top line has deteriorated, this is not exactly true. What has happened is that Versace now makes more of its suits in-house via Alias SpA, however they are, sadly, fused. I'm told by the company this is about 60-70% of production. Whilst fused suits are heavily criticised as akin to some noxious weed on this BB (and others), Versace's versions are actually quite nice, last well (I still have one from 7 years ago I use on travel where it gets beaten to a pulp on long distance plane trips, etc) and look great (as do Richard James of Savile Row suits --> I just wish he would canvas his suits!). I have no hesitation in recommending them at lower price levels. These suits are also more fashion forward with often elaborate weavings and details on the suits.

The other 30% or so is still made by In.Co SpA, a subsidiary of Zegna. The suits are better constructed with finer fabrics and fully canvassed (some with working cuffs). I own many of these and have never paid more than 50% of RRP. These are the suits that were what you would call the "older 'classic' models and were the "Gianni Versace Couture" line, with beautiful linings and finer detailing. Of all the designer suits (and I've owned D&G, Armani, Gucci, Gaultier [silk no less!], Comme des Garçons, Prada) I would say Versace are easily my favourite. They effortlessly merge modernism, beautiful styling with quality. They fit beautifully. They are singularly 'soft' in structure and drape beautifully. Of course, Versace also make some of the more garish and inter-planetary creations in suiting (the ones that get all the attention) but the conservative styles (which I adore) are superb all round suits. People here harp on incessantly about spending the money on bespoke or high level suit like Attolini or Kiton rather than a designer brand, yet I was lucky to have only paid US$370 for this (brand new) Versace suit a couple of years ago (well below the RRP of $2799), which was a great bargain:

Attachment 14000

As for RLBL, I defer to others...

I would only suggest you buy the suit that fits you best and looks the best on you, irrespective of whether RPBL is perceived to be 'better' than Versace (or vice versa). I've seen guys spend thousands on bespoke (my boss for one whose $5k bespoke suits from Sydney's finest tailors are very poor QPR) or Kiton/Brioni just because they perceived these were the best quality but they look terrible as the suit aged them a further 10-20 years or was ill-fitting.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The line I was speaking of is Versace Collection, also when I spoke with the person at Nordstrom they said the suit was not glued, do you think they were lying or did just not know? how would I tell from looking at it? all the versace collection suits I saw there had the pick stiching... not sure if that is an indicator.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
The line I was speaking of is Versace Collection, also when I spoke with the person at Nordstrom they said the suit was not glued, do you think they were lying or did just not know? how would I tell from looking at it? all the versace collection suits I saw there had the pick stiching... not sure if that is an indicator.

Probably fused. As mentioned above, the canvassed best Versace suits have retails $2K+. But, to be honest, my Versace suits were all the Gianni Versace Couture, but the Versace Collection I've seen have been fused.

I'd say the SA at Nordstrom's probably wasn't lying on purpose, but they just didn't know or that don't equate "fused" with "glued." You could probably ask, "Is it Canvassed" and they'll say, "No, no, it's 100% wool."

Anyway, the best determiner for this suit is if you like it and if it looks good on you. It's a very decent suit, with a good fit and classic silhouette. The price you mentioned isn't spectacular... but if I found a VCollection suit that fit me like a glove and I really liked the styling, I'd certainly consider $600. $900? No way...

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr

If it has the long Alias tag on the neck under "Made in Italy" [or wherever Versace suits are made these days!?) it is fused (and "Alias" will be in big lettering so you can't miss it). If it has the original detailed tags as per the original Gianni Versace Couture suits from 5+ years ago it will be made by Zegna and is fully canvassed. These tags are similar to those found in Zegna, Gucci etc and contain lots of grids with info includiing drop, size, material, style number, client, composition of lining, etc and are always found in the inside breast pocket of the jacket. In the bottom left hand corner they will also be inscribed with the Zegna company "In.Co sPa". The fused suits may also have an updated version of this tag.

You should also try the 'pinch' test to determine whether or not the suit if fused . Search this forum for further information.

As an aside, it is sad what Donatella has done to the brand. A few years ago she looked like rekindling the menswear brand with a superb range of under-stated and classic three piece suits (and I believe three piece suits are still a strong component for the Versace house) but she seems to have lost the plot in intervening years with respect to menswear (though last season's collections for men were a return to form and good to see the three piece still hold an important position within the portfolio). Too much focus on all the investment banks lining up outside the Versace house to pump $$$ into the business when they looked very financially precarious ...I'm REALLY tempted to buy a Versace 3 piece but in Sydney's hot and humid temperatures? I'd love to wear them ...

PS - in Australia we now only get the fused top-of-the-line Versace suits. Good move: I'll save lots of money.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zubberah

As an aside, it is sad what Donatella has done to the brand.

I agree recently she's done a little better (2000-2003 were pretty rough!), especially since she brought in Plokhov as a consultant. BUT, the sad fact is that she isn't, wasn't, and never will be Gianni. He was simply irreplaceable as a creative design talent and the brand will NEVER be what it was without him.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted that fully canvassed suits are likely to last you much longer (e.g., >50 years if worn carefully), but I suspect that a high quality fused or half-canvassed suit is likely to hold out well, too (perhaps not as long as a canvassed suit, but certainly for a substantial chunk of your lifetime). We're no longer living in the 1950s, when materials technology and adhesive were a bit less sophisticated than they are today. Where I'm going with this is that I think if the suit fits well, and you enjoy it, go ahead and buy it. I've seen plenty of clothing that is more well-constructed than some of the things that I own and just aren't styled or don't fit to me as well as others...

7173jhn

Reaction score
I was wondering how the new versace suits are. I was a fan of Cloak and some of the things I have seen from Versace since Alexandre Plokhov started helping out in the men's side seem interesting. Does anyone have a new Versace suit and is it cut slim like Cloak was? Thanks for any help.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few versace collection blazers I'm pretty happy with after 1 or 2 years of ownership, which I purchased from an outlet at 1/2 price.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Ok, I have pinched a few tags from eBay to help you.

Here is the original Gianni Versace Couture tags (fully canvassed suits; made by Zegna) though it has been embedded too deepely that you cannot see the In.Co inscription on the bottom left:

Attachment 14046

Here is the old Alias Tag (fused; made by Versace):

Attachment 14048

Here is the newest Alias tag (ditto):

Attachment 14047

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have seen the Versace suits at Nordstrom and they are fused. Just as a previous reply mentioned, the Nordstrom salesperson likely didn't know any better.

We have Versace suits on our website, and while some of the fabrics and styling (angled fashion pockets) are less to my liking, the fit is great with very nice waist suppression and a slimmer overall fit. The overall silhouette is fantastic, and if you tend towards a more fashion-oriented garment - they're a great choice. By the way - they are made in Croatia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics