Quality of Turnbull & Asser Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dib, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Dib

Dib Senior member

Hi

I was wondering if anybody had any views on the quality of T&A ties?

I really like T&A shirts and think they rate highly against the other high end RTW shirtmakers, but I'm not convinced by the quality of their ties. Looking through them recently at their sale, a lot of them seemed stiff and rigid and produced large clunky knots. My zegna ties, by way of comparison, are much softer, hang better and seem to produce much nicer knots.

Are the features of the T&A ties I describe above indicative of an inferior quality tie, or are they simply stylistic preferences?

Dib

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Simply stylistic preferences. Their ties have always been thick, wide, and clunky when knotted. Personally, I can see the quality, but they're not entirely for me, and I wouldn't ever spend retail on one.

3. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

The one T&A tie that I have is among my favorites. It's woven silk in blue and green. Yes, it's heavy, which I view as an attractive part of its design. Charvet produces a similar tie, but it is lighter and more fluid. Here's an unposed shot of me in this tie, which should give you a very general sense of what these ties look like in situ: [​IMG]

4. w.mj

w.mj Senior member

Simply stylistic preferences. Their ties have always been thick, wide, and clunky when knotted. Personally, I can see the quality, but they're not entirely for me, and I wouldn't ever spend retail on one.

That seems to be a quality of a lot of British ties. I found a few in the back of my closet from a place called "Crombie" that must have come from before my SF days and while clearly made from fine material, they were both of the style you mention.

5. joshman

joshman Senior member

I have a few. Quality is top notch and they're extremely well made.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

T&A ties form large knots to fit in T&A collars.

The bold styling of each looks best on a larger collar and bigger knot.

The prints may form smaller knots than the wovens, FYI.

7. newtrane

newtrane Senior member

I have dozens. Quality is great and I do not find them particulary thick.

8. andreyb2

andreyb2 Senior member

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I find my non pattern T&A ties to be thinner than most UK ties such as Drakes and similar to Charvet in thickness.

10. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like them. The thick lining works well with a 4-in-hand knot.

11. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

This chap might disagree with you. http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/888...0A760B0D811297 Andrey
    I believe that the concerns of HRH might be taken more seriously, and that a bespoke tie is offered, rather than a T&A regular tie.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've got several and they vary so much it's difficult to draw a conclusion, but generally I'd say the prints aren't that thick or heavy wheras the wovens vary from average thickness/knot to quite large.

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I've got several and they vary so much it's difficult to draw a conclusion, but generally I'd say the prints aren't that thick or heavy wheras the wovens vary from average thickness/knot to quite large.
    They do vary a bit don't they? I like their sense of color and the prints can make a good diversion here during the warmer months.

14. Dib

Dib Senior member

I would agree with this. I actually have a couple from a few years ago that I really like although that is probably because they are much softer and more fluid than some of the ties I have seen from them recently.

One thing I can't fault them on is their selection - T&A on Jermyn Street probably has as good a selection of ties as I have ever seen (both in terms of patterns and materials used).

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

T&A ties are not everyone's taste. Personally speaking, I love the prints and color choices. They add just the right amount of splash to an otherwise conservative outfit, while managing to look smart and not gaudy. Thickness and material varies by line, in my experience, but the typically thick T&A tie is just fine by me. It will soften over time, btw.

The quality is excellent, regardless of one's assessment of the style.