• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Topy work?

Jkhan82

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Allen Edmonds Topy'd. I've never had to use a topy before and I was wondering about the quality of the work this shoe marker did. It looks good to me, but any points for future pairs will be great! Thank you

clifton_topy.jpg

Cost me $25.

mrjames

Reaction score
looks fine, what's the thing at the top- is that a metal toe cap? how is it like from the side- what is the thickness? Does it affect how you walk?

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
looks fine, what's the thing at the top- is that a metal toe cap? how is it like from the side- what is the thickness? Does it affect how you walk?
Looks like an excellent job from this point of view. The top is just a different textured rubber.

Kurt N

Reaction score
For what it's worth, though, that isn't literally a Topy sole. Topy is a brand, and Vibram is a competing brand, and apparently Goodyear is a third brand for sole protectors (which I didn't know until now). Here's a thread where someone complains about being told Vibram and getting Goodyear instead: http://www.ssia.info/consumers/askex...p?TOPIC_ID=810 EDIT: And now I find a fourth brand: SoleTech. I should say I don't know much about the respective quality levels of the different brands. I believe Topy and Vibram are both well-regarded, that's all. See also see http://www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com...ouboutin.shtml; Randy I think has posted here or at AAAC about shoe issues.

Patek14

Reaction score
You might want to consider putting in heel taps as well. My heels wear out faster than the soles and since you put on that sole protector, it probably will substantially outlast the heels. Otherwise, i think it looks good from that view...not sure how thick it is tho

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
No toe cap, just a different texture. Thickness doesn't seem to noticeable, IMHO.
clifton_topy1.jpg
clifton_topy2.jpg
btw would anyone know the color for the edging cream?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurt N
For what it's worth, though, that isn't literally a Topy sole. Topy is a brand, and Vibram is a competing brand, and apparently Goodyear is a third brand for sole protectors (which I didn't know until now).

Here's a thread where someone complains about being told Vibram and getting Goodyear instead:
http://www.ssia.info/consumers/askex...p?TOPIC_ID=810

EDIT: And now I find a fourth brand: SoleTech. I should say I don't know much about the respective quality levels of the different brands. I believe Topy and Vibram are both well-regarded, that's all. See also see http://www.cobblestoneshoerepair.com...ouboutin.shtml; Randy I think has posted here or at AAAC about shoe issues.

I agree, looks like he did a pretty good job though.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do they (or anyone else) make rubber protectors that aren't black? It would be a nice thing to have a honey-colored set to put on the bottoms of shoes that just might wind up on a boat.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What model AE is that? Don't recognize it...

Looks like your cobbler did a good job.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel

It looks like the Clifton, though I don't recognize the color. AE no longer sells them on their website, but I believe Nordstrom still sells them.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel

The shoes are 'Clifton' Oxford's for Nordstrom.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, thanks. Too bad they don't make them anymore, that's a good looking shoe... Why does AE always discontinue their best looking models?
frown.gif

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Do they (or anyone else) make rubber protectors that aren't black? It would be a nice thing to have a honey-colored set to put on the bottoms of shoes that just might wind up on a boat.

Yes, they are made in dark brown and, natural as well.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
You can get them here: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-ed...esultback=2375 I don't think they were discontinued overall. The sales rep told me they have been carrying it for years and the Clifton, along with a few other styles are sold only from Nordstrom. I'm going to grab the other colors as well. I had to go down half a size. I bought an 8 and there is still space, 7 1/2 was to narrow for my feet but feet good otherwise. Just a heads up, if you order online. I just got these 2 months ago, and the amount of compliments are unbelievable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads