• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of ties from Budd in Piccadilly Arcade

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Good evening, gents

I have a tie and a few silk pocket squares from Budd in Piccadilly Arcade and I quite like them, but I know that I don't have much of an eye for this kind of thing.

I was therefore wondering if someone with more experience with Budd ties and a better eye could give me their thoughts on them, with regards to the quality and craftsmanship of their ties.

Thanks in advance

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As good as any other Jermyn Street or West London maker.

Siggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
As good as any other Jermyn Street or West London maker.

They are not all the same. I have a Benson & Clegg tie that looks good, but is too short and super thin, so it ties a ****** knot. I like my ties to have some heft.

courty

Reaction score
I agree. I think Budd is on par with most others. (The last time I was at Benson & Clegg, however, the ties struck me as inferior to Budd et al.)

Budd's main attraction to me is as a source of sized bow ties for black and white tie.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also own several from Benson & Clegg, and I mainly bought them simply as collegiate ties. It is true they are lesser quality, but the price does reflect that.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a couple of ties from Budd - I think they are a fair bit nicer than most of the Jermyn Street stores.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I have a couple of ties from Budd - I think they are a fair bit nicer than most of the Jermyn Street stores.
Yes i get that feeling as well. Now granted, I only have one tie from them, but compared to others I have from jermyn street it just feels nicer. Very light and soft without being thin, so it hangs effortlessly and the knots just turn out right every time. Had a chat with the fellow in the shop the last time, and I think they make them themselves or have them made to their own specifications, as he was telling me that the shape is made from their own patterns, and how difficult it was to make one particular pindot tie as the dots are on horizontal rows while the weave is diagonal. Don't think it's a manufacturer who does their own thing and then slaps on a Budd label. Think I'm going to go back for another one tomorrow, and if I do I'll post an update with some thoughts. Saw a nice burgundy solid with nice texturing there last time I stopped by, wasn't sure then but haven't been able to get my mind of it since.

literasyme

Reaction score
I think they're great. I don't think they make them on the premises -- in the past, Drake's made for them, but that's no longer the case. From what the clerk told me last time I was in there and we discussed their Ancient Madder ties, they order their own fabrics (in the case of the Madders, from Macclesfield) and have them made up to their specifications. Mine are quite light and soft, with a very pliable interlining.

They're very different from my T&As, which are stiffer, and thinner than the H&Bs I've seen. Personally, I think they're among the nicest English ties, as good as H&B or Drake's but their own thing.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I'm stopping by there today, I'll ask.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
They have outside manufacturers who produce their ties, in the case of the knit ties the manufacturer is an italian one and for all the rest the manufacturer is english. And they mentioned to me last time I was in, they pick out each fabric and the shape of the tie themselves.

On a related note I found the tie I was looking for, pics enclosed.

It's ridiculously thick though, and not very wide either, so it took about 15 attempts to get a decent looking knot, but I think it turned out quite nicely in the end.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads