• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Thai Exotic Leather Goods (ostrich, stingray, elephant, alligator, etc.)?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very tempted to buy a trouser and suit jacket wallet set made from stingray from a Thai merchant on ebay. How is the average Thai quality? I'm not a big fan of the giangantic logo but it's in the inside. The price is tempting though.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made a thread once and some guy warned me about those aswell.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz

But you've never bought them. I value empirical advice more than untried wisdom, even from the magi.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Its kind of a broad choice, but for skin pelts I will tell you to steer clear of the sellers from Thailand, those skins suck. They are all hornback, and very low quality. I cant think of a particular eBay seller who specializes in a general iGent assortment of skin selections, but your luck may benefit from searching "vintage alligator" and also crocodile. Ive got some grade A skins for a song in these searches.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the quote. I now have one person's opinion to rely on. Hopefully, more will surface.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I always wonder why ostrich is sold at such a premium. They raise them on farms. I can buy ostrich meat at the grocery store, for crying out loud.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
You know, I always wonder why ostrich is sold at such a premium. They raise them on farms. I can buy ostrich meat at the grocery store, for crying out loud.

There are different grades of ostrich skin.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be in the market for a pair of ostrich leather cowboy boots in the new year. Even though I can only wear them one week per year.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I find ostrich hideous. It is ugly and looks like strange pimply chicken skin. I find it ****.
Ostrich meat on the other hand is nice when cooked properly.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Some guy says the same here. Thai hornback skins are crap. Might as well shave the callouses off your big toe. Same quality.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Some guy says the same here.
Some Guy = Uncle Spoo
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads