• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Ralph Lauren bags

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find any info on the quality / where they are made.

Any ideas? If this bag is on sale with Mr. Porter tomorrow I would like to pick it up:
http://www.mrporter.com/product/300727
300727_mrp_e1_l.jpg

300727_mrp_fr_l.jpg

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen that bag. Do you know what line it is/where it's made?

edit- I clicked the link. It say's Purple Label but it's definitely not Purple Label. A lot of "Made in Italy" RL items are mislabeled as Purple Label while they're simply "Ralph Lauren." Not only is it far too cheap to be Purple Label, but it doesn't look Purple Label either.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was last year since I saw something similar a while ago. I know it's definitely not Purple label but at the price (if it's 50% off) it would be a good price. I'm not expecting Filson quality but was wondering if anybody knew.

Do you think it's worth the $175+shipping?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell with Ralph Lauren if it's their cheaper Polo stuff, expensive Polo stuff, or expensive "Ralph Lauren." A good way to tell if its either of the last two is if it's "Made in Italy," in which case this would be a very good price, even before the 50% off. Of course, you can't really tell online.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figure with their return policy I can see if I like it or not before sending it back. They have a black label nylon bag at $500 or so which I'm debating on as well.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own two RL bags, one in canvas similar to the one you posted and one in leather, and quality wise they are excellent. Havent seen a single rip, tear, fray, etc.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. If it's 50% off tmrw I'm getting it for sure

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevent
Do you think it's worth the $175+shipping?

Absolutely.

Love my made in Italy vegetable tanned RL bag.............

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Absolutely. Love my made in Italy vegetable tanned RL bag.............
im glad you enjoy it. I have the same bag but I must admit that yours looks better. That brown leather is awesome

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That bag is a beauty. Also on another level compared to the bag I posted haha.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Absolutely.

Love my made in Italy vegetable tanned RL bag.............

This is a slightly different ballpark,
laugh.gif

I've got the canvass version, but I wish I had yours.
smile.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two of the canvas and leather ones from the currentRL (not Purple label) line. Even though they have a classic English look they are made in China. The quality is good but it is a bit of a step down from the better Italian made or the older UK made bags from RL. If I hadn't got them on SF B&S at a sizable discount I probably would have bought another Brady Bag from the UK or maybe one of the special editions that seem to pop up as a purple label product.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I've never seen that bag. Do you know what line it is/where it's made?

edit- I clicked the link. It say's Purple Label but it's definitely not Purple Label. A lot of "Made in Italy" RL items are mislabeled as Purple Label while they're simply "Ralph Lauren." Not only is it far too cheap to be Purple Label, but it doesn't look Purple Label either.

I see a lot of RL accessories with cards that are colored purple that say "Ralph Lauren", but they don't say "Purple Label." Most of them are sold as Purple Label on Ebay. More and more of them are not made in Italy so beware. Even some of the Italian stuff seems to have dropped a bit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The RL (Purple Label) bags I have are of superb quality. One is all leather and the other is canvas trimmed in leather. They have both taken severe beatings but look better now than when new.

kdv10

Reaction score
I have two bags from the Purple Label line. It will come with a PL dust cover, plus a purple label credit card (for authenticity). Their PL line of bags are of very high quality and are usually made in Italy. I wouldn't hesitate to get these types of bag if you ever find them at a good discount from a reputable seller.

The bag pictured in the OP post doesn't seem to be PL, but rather the standard Polo Label bags. I have a few of these as well. They are not that bad of a bag, especially when deeply discounted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads