• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Purple Label ties?

HighSociety

Reaction score
Im mainly looking for fabric quality and knot construction. How well are they made?

bt61184

Reaction score
Very good. I have 2. Expect to pay $30-35 for them on this forum.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quite good, nice thick linings, well constructed.

HighSociety

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bt61184
Very good. I have 2. Expect to pay $30-35 for them on this forum.

It is impossible to find them on here

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about 12, but havent had time to list them. PM me about it...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HighSociety
Do you have pics?

Not yet, I havent gotten arount to photographing them.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of the "seven folds". I'm sure it's not a true seven fold, but you get the idea. It's the best tie that I own. There's nothing more that I can say.

bt61184

Reaction score
I snagged 2 on here from the last month so be patient and they will show up.

coverto

Reaction score
I have a couple of dark cashmeres, one paisley and one tartan, that are among my favorites. Always resisting the urge to wear them at the expense of others. They're very fine and tend to make very small knots - a full windsor can end up very tiny indeed if you want it to.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Im mainly looking for fabric quality and knot construction. How well are they made?
High Society, The fabric quality will be typically be of the highest quality as is the silk from all the luxury brands. Knots are a personal choice and the last time that I looked at a Purple Label tie I seemed to recall that the tag mentioned a wool interlining which is very good. I do not own RLPLs so you would have to ask further about how they knot.

StopPolloition

Reaction score

I'm too poor to afford purple label, but since it's so expensive, it must be better than cheap stuff like Borrelli or Tom Ford.
nest.gif
Seriously though, it's an OK tie, but there are better ties out there. It feels like middle of the road upper quality ties. It's not as nice as my Isaia tie but nicer slightly than my Robert Talbott BoC ties IMO.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Very nice ties. Made by Altea I believe. And Altea ties are quite often to be found on this forum at nice prices.
Surely you can also be lucky and find a Purple label tie, that is made by Marinella. But I recall, that those were limited in a certain season.

I knot mine to a four in hand, and they come out very well.
Silk seems to be very good quality.

I actually paid around 80$ for my tie, but I wanted the specific pattern very badly. I wouldn't pay much more BTW. You can have ties of at least the same standard for much less around here.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I have one of the "seven folds". I'm sure it's not a true seven fold, but you get the idea. It's the best tie that I own. There's nothing more that I can say.

Last year's crop of lined six-fold RLPLs were made by Marinella, I was told. They're terrific, although pricey. RL didn't put out many of these, and they tend to be in blacks, silvers and grays, like so:

470515451_bXGiU-L.jpg

The regular RLPL current three-folds (not by Marinella) are nicely constructed and knot well.

- B

NaturalShoulder

Reaction score
I have several purple label and find them to be of excellent quality. I find that the four in hand knot looks good with spread collar shirts which is not always the case when using a four in hand with other ties.

I also was able to pick up two ties for $60 total on the B&S thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads