• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quality of Paul Smith clothing?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His clothing is . . . very colorful and can be flashy but I found a dress shirt at Bloomie's that I'm in love with. However, I want to know how the quality is. Also, could you justify paying $250 for it?

I dont want to pay $250 for any shirt, trust me! But I WANT it

thanks

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends what line you're talking about. I'm assuming (going by the price) it's probably Paul Smith London. If so - the shirts are made in Italy and aren't bad quality at all. Definitely a bit pricey though!

Steer clear of the "PS" line.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I can't tell you whether it's worth it FOR YOU to buy the shirt, but in general I find his stuff to be better quality than hugo boss, Z zegna, and so on, on par with a lot of prada, D&G etc, but not even close to Brioni, Armani, etc.

For guys who want a good middle-of-the-road luxury solution, or a less expensive etro, I definitely recommend Paul Smith. I feel like he offers good value for your money compared to most brands.

I don't know if that helps, but to summarize, if you've got the money for it, I think it's good value (although I always recommend waiting for stuff to go on sale. His stuff is too flashy for most people to buy at full price).

Tim

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of Paul smith socks from sacks because I really likes the look and they are unusual. However they Are horrible quality after one wear i am going to try and return them since they were like $30

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
I got a pair of Paul smith socks from sacks because I really likes the look and they are unusual. However they Are horrible quality after one wear i am going to try and return them since they were like $30

Yup - they're drivel.
If you want some interesting socks for a decent price - try Duchamp. Similar designs - better quality.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that Paul Smith is best for small leather goods, but that seems to be on the decline as well. A wallet that I handled from a recent collection seems to be stitched horribly (yes it was genuine). Maybe they're headed down the D&G and Prada road?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the dress shirt is $295 but with the sale it's around $250. I can afford it but this is a dress shrit that I can't wear to the office b/c it's a little "much" for my line of work. It's a dark blue and light blue plaid design. I'm wondering if I should buy it and try to get a price reduction on it a month later!Haha.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I think I'm going to purchase it later today.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get super awesome Paul Smith made to measure shirts at a great price starting at $950 per shirt. They fly their tailor a few times per year from London to measure you.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their shoes are beautiful but horrible quality, Mines got ruined with the first time I cleaned them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Their shoes are beautiful but horrible quality, Mines got ruined with the first time I cleaned them.

Your shoes weren't ruined, you just didn't like the way they looked after you polished them with neutral wax. Plus, you didn't even buy mainline shoes.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial
I can't tell you whether it's worth it FOR YOU to buy the shirt, but in general I find his stuff to be better quality than hugo boss, Z zegna, and so on, on par with a lot of prada, D&G etc, but not even close to Brioni, Armani, etc.

Tim

I'd certainly consider their mainline garments on par with the Armani white label "Collezioni" you find in every department store. The black label "Giorgio Armani" is a different story.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in NYC, the Paul Smith outlet store on Grand Street here in Brooklyn just started its winter reductions.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Yup - they're drivel.
If you want some interesting socks for a decent price - try Duchamp. Similar designs - better quality.

Never heard of Duchamp. Typing ... google ... link ... click ...

Whoa. Those be some real socks there, "interesting" is an understatement.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89

Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Yup - they're drivel.

Huh... I've had many pairs of both... can't say either is significantly different in quality over the other. They've all lasted about the same amount of time.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Your shoes weren't ruined, you just didn't like the way they looked after you polished them with neutral wax. Plus, you didn't even buy mainline shoes.
I bought the ones I liked, Not my fault it was a lesser line. What can I do to remove the white lines? I re polished them with brown cream but the creases are white yet. Thanks
Originally Posted by razl
Never heard of Duchamp. Typing ... google ... link ... click ... Whoa. Those be some real socks there, "interesting" is an understatement.
I got some underwear from Duchamp and yes is better done than PS. Their ties are colourful too. Some nice jacquard floral shirts too, but horrible striped ones and jackets.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.