• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of J Crew Cardigans

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anybody has any experience with J Crew cardigans. A family member works for the company and I can get 30 or 60 percent off, depending on when I buy them. I am specifically looking at buying the merino, cashmere, and cotton/cashmere ones. I know they get their cashmere from LP. Anybody have any experience with them, are they worth it?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with the cardigans, but I've found their sweaters to be durable, and have them in a variety of yarns. However, they are not universally loved here on SF. Most recommend against their cotton/cashmere blend in favor of merino (e.g., http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...jcrew+sweaters but I've seen this stated elsewhere also).

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
plenty will say they are crap, etc. but for the price you are getting them at, they are pretty good quality. My advice - go for the merino wool or cashmere - thier cotton-cashmere has all the negative aspects of cashmere(pills, mis-shapens), will none of the positive(not particularly warm).

They are also pretty slim-cut.

MaxJones

Reaction score
At those prices you can find find some good values at J Crew. They often have very good cashmere sweaters.
Beginning some years ago J Crew sources Loro Piana to supply cashmere for them. At first it was only in womens' sweaters, then mens' sweaters fomr the catalogue, and now I think it may be in some of the mens' sweaters in the stores. Don't think you'll be getting the same quality as a branded Loro Piana sweater, but they're still very soft and comfortable, and if you can get them at a discount - well then there you have it.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I am wondering if anybody has any experience with J Crew cardigans. A family member works for the company and I can get 30 or 60 percent off, depending on when I buy them. I am specifically looking at buying the merino, cashmere, and cotton/cashmere ones. I know they get their cashmere from LP. Anybody have any experience with them, are they worth it?

For what it's worth, I don't think either LP or J.Crew will confirm this relationship. I think their cashmere is not a good value proposition at all. I have two of them and almost never wear them as they are thin, pill like crazy, and have a sort of "soapy" hand that is somewhat unpleasant. I probably have half a dozen merino and they are a good deal, but like all things J.Crew, a better deal on their frequent sales.

vinliny

Reaction score
Was in J Crew this past weekend. Cotton/Casmere blend v-necks and crews for $39.00. I passed. I was able to read through the thin yarn. The cashmere, merino were the same. I did not see the value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads