1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Of Grenson Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Feb 25, 2011.

1. razl

razl Senior member

They look it :fistbump:

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for them!

2. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Picked up these lightly worn Grenson Glenn boots on ebay. Despite being a G fitting, with the addition of an insole, they are a great fit, and very comfortable.
    Just can't really figure out what trousers they go best with. Wearing them with jeans today, and visually it doesn't work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. thelonius

thelonius Senior member

Ordered one of the "Stanloey" models by email a couple of years ago. Awful quality, extremely disappointing. Poor quality leather, poor stitching, poorly finished. It's amazing what they can do with photos. Could never get the size right either and in the end asked for a refund. But the quality was very poor. Someone on this thread likened them to a slightly lower quality Trickers. Sorry, but do not agree, they are way way down. Trickers arre usually good solid shoes with good finishing. Maybe the G zero line made in Northampton has better quality, I haven't seen them, but the other lines, I would never risk it again personally.

4. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Trying to work with the green rather than against it, I'm trying different trousers with these boots today.

[​IMG]

5. danilo

danilo Senior member

I know I'm kinda bringing up an old thread, better than starting a new one.

Anybody have some final advice for me on sizing, I ordered a pair of size UK7 Grenson G1 Moorgate Oxfords, I"m typically a size 8 in most dress shoes. Site said to order true to size, but I've read differently in other places, to size down 1/2 or even 1 full size.

6. darkalleY2013

darkalleY2013 Member

Dear gentlemen,

I've received my Grenson Moorgate today, and discovered something weird.

[​IMG]

Is this a sign of defect?

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would not say "defect" but if you're talking about the stitching, it's not the neatest.

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Dppr is quite right, i do believe :nodding:

9. dr1248

dr1248 Senior member

Does anyone on here own the Grenson Ellery - Double Monk - Brown? I am considering purchasing these and would like to get feedback on the quality of the shoe?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  10. MTLinStyle

MTLinStyle Senior member

I believe I have these. Bought them at the local store a week ago. Quality is decent, but nothing to write home about. It is not Carmina by any strech of imagination, but then neither is the price and it is my casual shoe to be worn with chino's and jeans and casual pants.

11. dr1248

dr1248 Senior member

Thank you for the feedback.

12. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

Hi All,
    newbie here from Toronto and wanted to revive this older thread.

I bought on impulse a pr of Grenson Tom's High Shine on sale from Club Monaco and received them
    today. After I had ordered them, I then searched and found this thread about the G Two lineup.
    Anyways, relatively new to the world of "nice" shoes and liked the look of these, but thought I would post
    a few pics and perhaps get some feedback on the shoes in general, seeing as the general consensus seems to
    be of a lower quality shoe.
    They "seem" and look and feel quite nice to me, a touch narrow but stylish nonetheless. Not crazy $ but maybe
    I'm the demo Grenson had in mind when marketing this lineup. Mind you on "sale" reasonable but regular list at
    $400 is ridiculous, when for an extra $100-150 gets your Churches and such.
    thanks for all replies. They even forgot to take off the security tags LOL
    cheers,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Papastevesey

Papastevesey New Member

Hi Emidyl

I'm a newbie on the forum from Toronto as well and about a year and a half into the world of 'nicer' shoes.

I bought a pair of stanley's from CM in the sales and got a great deal. Admittedly they feel a tangible step down in quality from the pair of Sanders boots and Herring brogues (at around the $400 mark, these are right at the bottom end of the QUALITY shoe scale) I purchased last year, but for your first pair of decent ones, they are going to be just fine.

They are still made using the proper methods, and checked by Grenson... and definitely better than anything you'll find in Browns or B2 or Aldo- And I think the look of the high shine you have on yours looks great.

The G2's aren't worth anything near the full price, but you got yours on sale so wear them happily while you shop for a quality pair next time!

14. darkalleY2013

darkalleY2013 Member

Just gave some polish to my Grenson G1 Moorgate this morning.

[​IMG]

15. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

It's a pity the quality of Grenson has gone downhill. Their old Rose line was pretty good. Now it's all rubbish, with silly names for their different lines and absurd shoecare advice on their website. I wouldn't pick up a pair on ebay even if they were at a discount. A waste of money.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Well...I'd still pick up a Masterpiece for <$75 :slayer:

17. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Same here, I stick to masterpiece or rose collection and avoid the rest.

18. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Anyone know if Grenson used crust or analine leather for their masterpiece? I want to experiment with a black pair...

19. coloRLOw

coloRLOw Senior member

no personal experience with Grenson

but IIRC, some SFers says the quality of G zero line is equal or not far from the masterpiece line.

could you please comment on the G zero?

Thanks!

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Speaking about black wingtips: [​IMG]