1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Of Grenson Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Imhoff, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rossjamesparker

rossjamesparker Member

Totally agree with Bullitt on all points. I have some Grenson G2 range semi-brogues and Loake 1880 semi-brougues, bought a month apart for alternating on office days. Two years later, the Loakes still look new, and the Grensons are beginning to look ropey. I also have to polish the Grensons twice as much, as the leather really doesn't hold its lustre. It also seems to react worse when it's caught in the occasional rain shower.

On the positive side, the Grenson leather is lighter, which has helped on work trips to hotter climes, and can be marginally more comfortable for the occasional 3 mile stroll between airport gates.

However, if you have £200 to spend on new shoes, it's Loake 1880 all the way. Pair them with some charcoal full-calf superfine merino Pantherellas and you're going to have smart feet for a good time to come.

2. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

Grenson have so many grades its hard to generalise on quality.
    Try any made for Paul Stuart - Stuart's Choice Grensons and you won't be comparing to Loake!
    I have some Chukkas that compare very favourably with Edward Green that I also have
    And Chelseas that fit like a glove, great last, really good leather and finish,
    seem to me more like CJ handgrade than 1880s
    ..... FWIW

3. BatmanEsq

BatmanEsq Well-Known Member

I'll certainly second the notion that older Grenson's seem superior to modern-day versions. But that is often the way of the world - unless quality and craftsmanship remain constant, and output is unaffected - there will always be changes.

Everything is always in the eye of the beholder! But Grenson's are much better than most high street shoes, that's for sure!

4. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

Hi I am planning to buy Bert in Black for my next shoes but when I tried a UK6 (which is what I usually take) in the Liverpool Street store the laces closed completely and I felt a bit of room. So here is the question:

• Do you think I should size down by a whole of half a size?
    • Apparently Grenson shoes become very soft over wear and the size relaxes. How much should I consider this size wise (how much should I size down by)?
    • What's your verdict on Bert?

Thanks in advance.

5. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

Verdict on the Bert is that it's 400 dollars and probably made in India along with most of Grenson's offerings. Don't be fooled by the "Grenson, England" stamp on the sole, as if you look closely on the inside there will be a sticker that says "Made in India." On top of that the last isn't very sleek. personally I've never been a fan of the folded seams but some people are. However overall I would not buy this shoe. There are cheaper shoes made in england that will be higher quality.

6. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

Hi thanks for the reply. The one I am looking at is 185 pounds though. I think you may be confusing it with the identical looking shoes made by Grenson's designer's original line that is made from better leather (which does cost about 400USD). Which I presume is made in England. The cost aside how does it feel? Did the leather break in to the degree that it changed sizes?

7. havingaraveup

It's actually the same as the one liste don the US site, it's just 385 on the US site and 185 pounds on the UK site. I don't own the shoe, and none of these are made in England. Go with Loake 1880 or Shoemakers over Grenson. That is my only advice. These will look terrible quickly.

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Can somebody link the good quality Grenson shoes?

9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

10. havingaraveup

11. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

Thanks for clearing that up havingaraveup.Yeah I think I will go with loakes in that case. Its a shame though I quite liked the rolled leather designed.

12. gnrclouis

gnrclouis Member

Bought a pair of the Grenson Archie Vibram Sole Brogues. Ended up being about $300 USD with shipping. Quality seemed very very average - particularly considering the relatively expensive price-point. Ended up returning them and would definitely recommend steering clear of anything other than the very high end Grensons. Seems like they're living off their name more than anything else, quite a shame.

13. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Grenson G2 line are complete rubbish. I recently purchased a pair of suede loafers. Paid just under $150 (on 50% off sale). Leather quality and finish is crap.

1 person likes this.
  14. wurger

wurger Senior member

Grenson is more of a fashion brand now, G2 is made in India, quality is very poor for the price they charge.

15. atia2

atia2 Senior member

The shoes they make for Paul Stuart and New & Lingwood (the latter under either the St James Handgrade or Poulsen Skone labels) are exceptional. As good as Green, if not better. I believe these are what were sold as "Masterpieces" under their own name, but they don't appear to offer them any more. The closest appears to be the less classic G-zero collection.

I recently picked up two pairs of the N&L versions for £200-250 in the winter and summer sales, which proved to be absolute steals for the quality. I walked down Jermyn Street yesterday and noticed that their summer sale is still going but I didn't go inside (for fear of further expenditure!) For those in London, this might be the best source of top-notch Grensons.

16. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

+1 The Paul Stuart shoes are great.

17. rabiesinfrance

rabiesinfrance Senior member

I hate the wanky stuff on the website.

The Basics

Never wear your new shoes in the rain until they have been worn about 3 or 4 times.
    If your shoes do get wet, put shoe trees in them or newspaper if you don't have trees. Let them dry at room temperature for at least 48 hours before you wear them again. Wet sole leather will wear out twice as quickly as dry sole leather.
    Before polishing your shoes always wipe them over with a dry cloth to get rid of surface dirt.
    Polish them with plenty of polish and allow them to sit with the polish on as long as possible. Ideally let the polish stay on overnight. Make sure you get plenty of polish into the welt and the crack between the upper and the sole.
    Take off the excess polish with a brush or cloth and shine them up.
    If you have tan shoes you can darken them using a darker polish. Some people will go as far using black polish on tan shoes, instantly making them look very old.
    Remember a Goodyear welted shoe is easy to repair and you can change the sole if you want to.
    The shoe is ready for repair when you can feel a very soft spot in the middle of the front of the shoe where you walk. Push it with your thumb and if it’s very soft, it’s about to go. If it's a little soft, it’s got another few months.
    If you have leather soles and don't want to slip in an airport hall, cut open a potato and rub it into the sole of the shoe. This will give you enough grip to stay upright.
    If you look after your shoes, they might just last longer than you.
    Never wear socks that are funnier than you.

1 person likes this.
  18. atia2

atia2 Senior member

You could say the same about their own-brand shoes. It frustrates me that a company capable of producing timeless classics of exceptional quality for other labels chooses to sell under its own name only fashion-forward rubbish for metrosexuals, creatives, and other Hoxtonites.

PS I'm planning to wear my Poulsen Skone/GMP loafers with shorts to a barbeque today. Can I get away with this?

[​IMG]

19. trial8889

trial8889 Member

would someone please advise me about the sizing for this shoes? I'm wearing 7.5 USA on bally and tod's. Please advise? thanks in advance

20. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Grenson sizing’s is all over the place. Occasionally they even misprint their width sizing.
    I am a us 8E/EEE. I have purchased a pair of Grenson in uk7. I was advised by the merchant they run a full size large and to order 1 full size down from my us sizing. They were also loafers. So it made sense. Now they are a bit too short and a bit too tight. They didn’t offer ½ sizes. I should’ve even gone with uk8. Being on short last and my feet being wide.

So I assume if you go down ½ size form your us sizing you will be fine.