• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Crockett & Jones vs. Rendedbach leather soles?

michaelvl

Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have two pairs of Crockett and Jones shoes and several pairs of Edward Greens. Between them I find the C&J soles to be very soft and find them to wear very rapidly. One pair is starting to develop cracks in the sole, so I am planning to send them in for a recrafting shortly. Before sending them in, I would like your opinions as to which soles are of better quality, wear slower and have the best price to quality ratio. Based on your input I shall either send them to C&J for a recrafting or have them recrafted by a third party with JR soles.

PS: If any has received a recent quote from C&J U.K. regarding what it costs to have a pair of bench grades recrafted please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if we are talking bench grades, I'd say the JR soles will last longer.

Handgrades vs. JR should be very similar.

I say do the JRs

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could ask C&J for a oak bark sole like handgrades, if it's possible.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JR outsoling is tanned with valona...acorn caps. It tends to be hard and brittle and more prone to cracking.

Contrary to popular mythology, harder doesn't necessarily equal better wear...esp. when it comes to leather outsoling. Maybe back when we all walked on dirt trails and grassy commons. But on abrasive surfaces the media that can yield a little to the roughness of asphalt, for instance will usually wear a little better.

I can't speak to what was on your shoes originally or what C&j uses as a default repair sole, but Baker outsoles...English and tanned with oak bark...are considered the gold standard by many and will tend to feel a little softer than the JR.

But wear better.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Thanks for the information and tips so far gents!
I have learned allot from them. :slayer:

Stirling

Reaction score
JR outsoling is tanned with valona...acorn caps. It tends to be hard and brittle and more prone to cracking.
Contrary to popular mythology, harder doesn't necessarily equal better wear...esp. when it comes to leather outsoling. Maybe back when we all walked on dirt trails and grassy commons. But on abrasive surfaces the media that can yield a little to the roughness of asphalt, for instance will usually wear a little better.
I can't speak to what was on your shoes originally or what C&j uses as a default repair sole, but Baker outsoles...English and tanned with oak bark...are considered the gold standard by many and will tend to feel a little softer than the JR.
But wear better.

Having used both Baker and JR, I've gone towards JR as the better product. I would have preferred if the local product was better than the European import but then that's life.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Having used both Baker and JR, I've gone towards JR as the better product. I would have preferred if the local product was better than the European import but then that's life.

Just the opposite here. We can get JR fairly easily here in the States. Aside from the, in my view, outrageous imposition of their brand upon a product I will use (might as well sell space on my shoes for the Coke label) in my work, it is better than average quality leather, in my opinion.

I like Baker better but in point of fact, I use a Belgian chestnut tanned outsoling that is somewhere in-between Baker and JR in temper, is readily available and finishes up nicely.

Stirling

Reaction score
Just the opposite here. We can get JR fairly easily here in the States. Aside from the, in my view, outrageous imposition of their brand upon a product I will use (might as well sell space on my shoes for the Coke label) in my work, it is better than average quality leather, in my opinion.
I like Baker better but in point of fact, I use a Belgian chestnut tanned outsoling that is somewhere in-between Baker and JR in temper, is readily available and finishes up nicely.

Milton-Sokol?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
Yes.
fing02[1].gif

Forgive the intrusion, but...who are you? And where are you? (PM me if you will...just curious.)

Oh, I'm no one important!

I did run a tannery for a good few years and worked for a few English shoemakers, but that was in another life.

BTW I'm quite impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh, I'm no one important!

I did run a tannery for a good few years and worked for a few English shoemakers, but that was in another life.

BTW I'm quite impressed with the depth of your knowledge.

I understand exactly what you mean. Maybe it's a certain age.

My knowledge comes straight from the bench...mostly. It has pine tar under the fingernails and dye soaked into the hand.

When you come to it, it's the knowledge itself that's important simply because like a lot of other things in life, you rent to own.

And thanks.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But wear better.

post is very good :slayer:
yes bakers is best me ever wear

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads