• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Banana Republic Suits

swarley

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new suit and came across this at BR. Can anyone shed some light on the construction, quality of fabric and overall rating of BR suits. I have asked the SA, but it usually turns out that they lack in product knowledge.

This suit will be for work and I will be meeting with clients (Financial Services Industry) so I need something of decent quality, but looking for it to hold up fairly well. I'm just starting in this business so funds are limited to $500 or so.

Other recommedations are welcome. I have already looked at TAT.

my build would be average, 5'11", 161 lbs, w 34.5 jacket 40

Thanks for the help.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...6&oid=OUT15043

gilwood

Reaction score
The quality of Banana Republic has gone downhill. They used to have some half decent stuff, but it's really declined. You're better off getting a Brooks Brothers suit off of ebay. Beware of BB's 346 line, which is cheap stuff. A half canvassed suit is on the higher end, but costs $$.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They also seem to load them up with trendy little details that make them look dated 6 months after your purchase.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that's not saying much lol

swarley

Reaction score
Are there any other suggestions for a replacement for the BR suit I linked to. I really like the grey pinstripe and being a three piece. Either single or double vent. Help is appreciated.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, BR likes to put boot flares on their "straight-leg" pants.

rogerm

Reaction score
Banana Republic suits are very modern, but they are of horrible construction and quality. I think the Men's Warehouse has better quality clothes. They use to have mediocre quality, but now it's very-very bad.

If you're in the financial industry, I think Brooks Brothers would be a good choice. If that's not to your liking try a Macy's sale. If you want some type of deal, search ebay or the forums. Just stay away from Banana Republic suits.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR offers fashion at a convenience, but you're going to pay for it. As others have said, and I don't have direct experience, but it's my understanding that for $500, you are not getting $500 of quality. WIth the quality not up to par, the BR would be good (at discount) for a young guy to wear every so often when he goes to weddings or that "special" once in a while event. Not for every day business.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Banana Republic markets the best RTW suits made, even above Crittendon.

- B

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR's suit quality used to be much better. Sure, they're expensive for a fused suit made overseas - but I begam my acquisitions there with a Glen Plaid, a Brown Tweed from their "Heritage" line, and a Khaki cotton/linen blend suit.

The've all held up really well (better than the Boss that I also had back in the day that bubbled within 8 months of owning it). The advantage is that they're beater suits, on a budget (when purchased on sale).

But nowadays, afaik they've moved production form Turkey to China. No offense to China, but I am not paying $500+ for a BR suit made there. For some reason, the details and construction went from OK when made in Turkey, to complete garbage made in China.

From personal experience, then, I advise you just troll the B/S forum for a decent suit in your size. Or maybe pick up something for cheap at Nordstrom Rack, NM Last Call, Saks Off 5th, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads