1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quality mens shoes under $500

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wmelton, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Distinguished Member

Except for the G.Zero collection, but of course that's more than $500.

2. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior Member

"Nota Bene restaurateur Yannick Bigourdan was brought on board to help open the store after repeatedly lobbying the chain's owners to open up in Toronto; he's amassed a huge collection of their shoes."

http://www.blogto.com/fashion_style/2014/03/the_top_10_new_menswear_stores_in_toronto/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

3. Beane

Beane Senior Member

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

Was well aware of this - it just doesn't do anything to help evaluate the quality of the shoes.

5. Bill Dlwgosh

I'm curious about their quality as well. It'd be nice to have a B&M in TO that sells AE (I've seen Loding described as possibly being slightly better?) caliber shoes that a Torontonian can try on and buy without the shipping/duties that go along with ordering AEs from the states. I recently bought a pair of Derbys from AE for $197 and shipping and duty ended up at an additional $134.

6. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

I agree completely. Shipping and duties are killer. I'm in NYC enough that I just stock up when I'm there. Whatever happened to that free trade talk with NAFTA and all I don't know, since I'm still getting abused by duties.

I have bough a pair of the Lodings - and they are good. Better quality than a pair of Finsbury's that I purchased in Paris last year.

Other than that, my personal knowledge in T-dot has tapped out. My only advice would be to try and swing a pair of J. Fitzpatricks when possible. I know he gets a lot of love, and I haven't had a chance to try anything personally yet, but it seems legit enough to want to check out - and his price point isn't crazy (for the possible relative quality).

7. Bill Dlwgosh

J. Fitzpatrick are my 'Sweet Spot' along with Carmina as both would only be an additional $100-$130 investment beyond the Lodings. I am aware of Leatherfoot who carries both brands and check their site regularly although I have never visited the store as I probably won't be buying shoes until the Spring. Leatherfoot never has either brands Cap Toe Oxford in my size though and I don't know if there'd be an additional charge to order a model that that they don't already have in stock.

Also, as I mentioned up thread, I plan to keep an eye on out for any large sales at Brooks Brothers as their Peel & Co. label is apparently built by C&J or AS, with apparently most models being C&J.

I envy your ability to visit NYC. I'm currently in the process of being sponsored for PR by my wife and I don't want to leave the country until we've completed that process.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

8. Patek14

Patek14 Senior Member

I take it you don't own any of these shoes?

any 3 of those shoes are fine. if you want to get well made shoes @ the entry level, look for Allen Edmonds or Loake 1880

if you care to spend more, look toward Alden, Crocket and Jones, Carmina, just to name a few

9. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior Member

Agree with all of that, but I'll just add a couple of points to the convo for no particular reason.

I definitely like the build quality of the Crockett & Jones. In fact, I've wanted to get a pair for a really long time (my old office was on 5th Ave just up the street from their store), they just always had such terrible service in the store I never walked out with anything. The guys they had in there didn't do much, in my opinion, to rep the brand - and it usually doesn't take much to get me to buy.

The BB Peel & Co. I think are overpriced. Never seemed like good value to me, and very mens-y.

AS I don't know enough about. I should consider them as a next purchase - though I am holding out for the JF.

Just wait it out - you'll be fine. Helps with the saving up of enough funds to buy this fine footwear anyway...

10. Nullson

Nullson Well-Known Member

I wonder where you get your assumptions from.

11. JezeC

JezeC Distinguished Member

if you must drop $500 per pair, then you can definitely look into carmina / vass (a bit more than $500). as for alden calf, i'm personally not a big fan of it, but cxl/suede is pretty sweet.

for pairs under $200, AE and Meermin are a great bet. unless you already have some experience in this regard, i don't think you can truly appreciate leather quality / construction if you go straight to the $500+ pairs. the question becomes whether you're willing to pay a premium for minor details that only you would notice and appreciate. if you're enquiring from a longevity stand point, AE shoes over 10+ years are quite ubiqituous in the ae thread.

EDIT: given the <$500 criteria, AS should def be in this dialogue as well.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

12. yanagi

yanagi Senior Member

Your attitude in this thread is so facepalm worthy. You give nothing more than a few words on AE shoes ("poor quality for the price"), but you expect others to "explain" why they aren't. Why don't you "explain" why they are "poor quality for the price"?

13. HughJ

HughJ Senior Member

E being a gateway shoe probably leads to the overzealous recommendations they get on North American menswear forums, and as seen above, also leads to overzealous scorn. They are readily available (on discount at that), fit the average foot, and tick all the baseline quality checkboxes in their price range. There's no good reason to slight them, apart from their looks, which are IMHO boring compared to most of the alternatives listed in this thread. Different strokes, of course.

For those of you suggesting C&J and Carmina under $500 – what are your sources? Outside of one very fortunate purchase, the only pairs I’ve seen marked down so low were in odd colours or modes.

14. Bill Dlwgosh

15. HughJ

HughJ Senior Member

Thanks, I am already a Leatherfoot customer, but I'm afraid that our taxes put their prices roughly on par with everywhere else. Great shop, though.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014