• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality dress shoe in wide?

Mike84

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty finding a quality dress shoe that's wide enough for my feet. I've tried the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (5 last) and the Allen Edmonds Boardroom (7 last) in 8 2E, 8 3E, 8.5 2E, and 8.5 3E. The 8's weren't wide enough and the 8.5's were wide enough, but the heels slipped (not a ton, but enough to concern me). That said, any suggestions of other quality brands or models to try?

theplayerking

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty finding a quality dress shoe that's wide enough for my feet. I've tried the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (5 last) and the Allen Edmonds Boardroom (7 last) in 8 2E, 8 3E, 8.5 2E, and 8.5 3E. The 8's weren't wide enough and the 8.5's were wide enough, but the heels slipped (not a ton, but enough to concern me). That said, any suggestions of other quality brands or models to try?

Try the 1 Last. I just picked the revamped (no pun intended) Leeds 2.0 in 8E and they fit my wide feet well. Be sure you look at the 2.0 version, not the original. It's not a sleek shoe, but incredibly comfortable.

The 1 Last is the same as the Daltons, but the Leeds is the the only dress show made on it.

Last edited:

Mike84

Reaction score
Thanks for that recommendation. I'm hoping to find a cap toe. Any recommendations for a wide cap toe?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an EEE and find that the discontinued 2 last hugs my heel the best (for Allen Edmonds). The 511 last is not bad in that department either. If you can step up your budget, then I think Alden may work better for you. The Barrie and Trubalance lasts are both quite grippy in the heel due to the "combination" lasts that they use. If you're willing to take a gamble on sizing and overseas delivery, then Vass offers the best fit I've experienced of any maker. The U last in particular (H fitting) fits my foot quite perfectly (extra wide ball, narrow heel).

Good luck!

Xyst

Reaction score
+1 for the 511 last. Of the more than a dozen pairs of AEs in my closet, the 511s fit my EEE feet the best (Love me some Bradley's!).

It looks like they do have a pair of captoes on that last right now, the "Alt Cap-Toe Oxfords".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics