• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Button Downs to pair w/ Jeans?

sium09

Reaction score
OK I've seen a few threads about this that don't really help since the other posters were looking for cheap quality.

I am looking for brand recommendations ($100 or less/shirt) for button down shirts I can wear with nice jeans to work (I'm stuck wearing polo shirts consistently since my wardrobe sucks). Would a tailored fit be best?

Any help would be appreciated.

-MK

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about fit. Some people fit J. Crew better, some people fit Polo etc.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on fit. You should try the different brands first and find what fits you best. Or you could go Jantzen.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sium09
OK I've seen a few threads about this that don't really help since the other posters were looking for cheap quality. I am looking for brand recommendations ($100 or less/shirt) for button down shirts I can wear with nice jeans to work (I'm stuck wearing polo shirts consistently since my wardrobe sucks). Would a tailored fit be best? Any help would be appreciated. -MK
imo "quality" button ups and "jeans" do not go together. you either get a nice dress shirt that you wear with slacks or a suit, or you get a cheapo sport shirt. there is no reason to go for sea island and mop if your just wearing a sportshirt with a pair of jeans jcrew, ruehl, abercrombie, martin and osa, american eagle, aeropostale, banana republic, brooks brothers, polo that you find at macys, other shirts you can get at macys, dillards, etc, just go try a bunch of stuff on and see what works

DandySF

Reaction score
Since you were asking for a recommendation, I'll suggest Brooks Brothers all cotton oxford cloth button downs, the ones that have to be pressed. These come in the original huge fit and the slim fit.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyliu52
imo "quality" button ups and "jeans" do not go together. you either get a nice dress shirt that you wear with slacks or a suit, or you get a cheapo sport shirt. there is no reason to go for sea island and mop if your just wearing a sportshirt with a pair of jeans
s

Are you saying jeans are too dressy for a horsey shirt?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourites are Brooks Brothers for ginghams, and Hackett for oxfords

mockingboy

Reaction score
Why can't you wear a nice shirt with jeans?

Originally Posted by andyliu52
imo "quality" button ups and "jeans" do not go together. you either get a nice dress shirt that you wear with slacks or a suit, or you get a cheapo sport shirt. there is no reason to go for sea island and mop if your just wearing a sportshirt with a pair of jeans

jcrew, ruehl, abercrombie, martin and osa, american eagle, aeropostale, banana republic, brooks brothers, polo that you find at macys, other shirts you can get at macys, dillards, etc, just go try a bunch of stuff on and see what works

Francisco

Reaction score
I like to wear my Thomas Pink with my jeans when i am out...

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
+1

+2.

Contrary to SF opinion wearing a suit and tie everywhere makes you look like a d-bag a high % of the time, especially when everyone else is dressed casually and casual dress is expected. Time and a place.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. Being well put together and having some style doesn't end when you aren't wearing a suit or sportcoat.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well in that case i just wear a cheaper jcrew or something sportshirt or a polo shirt or a tshirt with my jeans... why would anyone spend up to $100 for a button down to wear with jeans? maybe i am just poor who knows

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads