• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality braces/suspenders with brown leather ends?

Nonk

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a seller of decent quality braces with brown leather ends?

Thurston seem to have black or white only.

Has anyone tried their bespoke service? Is it at much additional cost over their rtw lines (They are made where I live, perhaps I can bluff a visit to the factory!)

I am after a pair of purple braces with dark tan leather ends and a pair of navy braces with the same to support the new fishtail back cords I have just bought.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pairs, one with dark brown one with light brown, both from Brooks Brothers. They say made in England. Whether they are "quality" I can't really comment, but I don't often find my pants falling off when I wear them so they are good enough for me. LOL.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Thurstons are very willing to vary their specifications for you at little or no extra charge. Drop them an e-mail and you will probably get a reply from Richard Kew, their M.D., himself. He is very friendly and indeed is a regular participant on AAAC, under the name "Bracemaker." I'm not sure whether he is a member here also.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Paul Smith stores used to have interesting braces, perhaps it's worth a call.

Nonk

Reaction score
I emailed Thurston today and got a rather prompt telephone response.

As I live in Leicester where they are made, I was invited to call round this week to discuss my requirements in person!

Great service.

Thanks for the replies.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this is better suited for a new topic, but Ihave a few questions of my own about braces. I need a pair of pairs for 1 suit and 1 tux, both worn sparingly. All of my other suits either have belt loops or side tab adjusters.

Anyways, given that I do not wear either often, I'd like to cover as much ground with one pair of braces if possible. Not possible? Ill-advised?

First off here are the items they would be worn with:

1)midnight navy tux with grosgrain lapels tuxedo
2)p.o.w with lilac overcheck suit

Here are my qeustions in order:

1)Can I get away with 1 set of braces for both? If so, which color/pattern would you suggest.
2)If I get 2, should I get plain black, pindots, or white silk braces for the tux? Is it really just personal preference?
3)Do the leather ends on the braces need to match your shoes? I suppose white leather ends would cover all bases.
4)Do braces need to mesh with the accessories, such as shirts, ties, etc, or can they kind of stand alone seeing as they aren't really meant to be seen?

Sorry I have so many questions but I am so out of my element as far as braces go as I have never worn them. Lastly, I have a preference after doing some research for Thurston braces, so any suggestions with their catalog in mind would be very helpful. I've thought about white braces for the tux so they just go away. Also for the suit I've thought about the amythest ribbon or the dove grey with a request for white ends. That way I can wear either black or brown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads