• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality and sizing of John Partridge waxed cotton jackets?

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Could anyone comment on the quality of John Partridge waxed cotton jackets in comparison to Barbour? I wear a size 38" in the Barbour Beaufort, so should I go with a small (34-36") or the medium (38-40") in John Partridge? I am worried that the medium might be too big for me, so any help in sizing would be much appreciated.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience Partridge runs large and is of excellent quality,still made in the UK, unlike Barbour. IMHO, definitley as nice as Barbour.

I have a quilted coat of that I'm quite fond.

msrecca

Reaction score
My Partridge ran just a little large, about right for a sweater, It at very least is as nice as a Barbour. It was about half retail at STP.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
In my experience Partridge runs large and is of excellent quality,still made in the UK, unlike Barbour. IMHO, definitley as nice as Barbour.

Originally Posted by msrecca
My Partridge ran just a little large, about right for a sweater, It at very least is as nice as a Barbour. It was about half retail at STP.

Yeah, I figured they ran larger, but I am not sure if the Small would be too tight. I guess I will have to order it and return it if it does not fit, thanks.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

I believe Barbour still makes the Waxed cotton in the UK but some of the other lines elsewhere.

I had one Partridge jacket and the jacket material was excellent , I just didn't like the sleeve closure.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their jackets tend to be shorter than Barbours by about an inch.

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
Many thanks to OP; I've been looking all over for a non-Barbour waxed cotton jacket. The Partridges look great!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two Partridge quilteds and they are great.

Is anyone looking for a small? I have a vintage (I think it's from the late 80's or so) one that I never wear cause it's a little too tight (size S). Olive-brown color. Let me know if you're interested.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ephemeralcoherence
Many thanks to OP; I've been looking all over for a non-Barbour waxed cotton jacket. The Partridges look great!

NP.

Originally Posted by Connemara
I have two Partridge quilteds and they are great.

Is anyone looking for a small? I have a vintage (I think it's from the late 80's or so) one that I never wear cause it's a little too tight (size S). Olive-brown color. Let me know if you're interested.

How does the small fit? I have a 39" chest but usually find that traditionally styled outerwear fits larger than tagged.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
Where's the best place to order online?

STP usually has a nice selection. That's where I got mine.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmoraitis
NP.

How does the small fit? I have a 39" chest but usually find that traditionally styled outerwear fits larger than tagged.

IIRC Conne takes a child's siZe
tongue.gif
so you might be better off with the medium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads