• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Alternaties to Allen Edmonds

bpsmith

Reaction score
I know that this is opening Pandora's Box and that it's been asked before, but those threads seems to sprout suggestions that go upwards in terms of quality (Alden, then C&J and eventually John Lobb). I'm looking for sideways movement.
Crockett & Jones Malvern
I'm on the hunt for a nice, classy single monk. C&J tastes with an Aldo budget
baldy[1].gif
. If need be (and probably it is), I could stretch to an AE budget, but I don't have much love for the look of their single monks and the reviews on the site say they run towards the shite end of comfort.

Halp,
Bertrand

Last edited:

MisterFu

Reaction score

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Loake is supposed to be a similar alternative to Allen Edmonds, but I have no personal experience with them. Between the variety, customer service, and regular sales, Allen Edmonds seems like the most attractive option in that price range to me.

bpsmith

Reaction score
Did a reconnoiter downtown to see what is actually available locally. Doesn't look good. One store stocks AE shoe polish, but the shoes they have are primarily Cole Haan...
Another one has a whole two types of AE, which is more than I thought was in town, and they do have Johnston Murphy, site cites having that Tyndall, but I saw no evidence on the shelves.
I did feel meh about suede in general, but now I'm starting to warm up to it, which opens up quite a few possibilities, including Meermin and Loake.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might check out Sanders and Sanders which was recently mentioned in SF in the context of
wide sizes. Their prices are well below C &J . My guess is that the quality is lower, but their dress shoes
look decent in the WebSite. I would recommend Ludwig Reiter- only available in Europe, but they cost
more than C & J these days.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/

Herring and Pediwear are other options

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/searc...d=4&colourid=&search_source=normal_search_box

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/search/resultsa.php

Last edited:

Patek14

Reaction score

There aren't many lateral competitors to AE anymore, they seem to have carved out a nice niche in the mid-range 350-450 market.

As a general rule, you get what you pay for; you aren't getting C&J anything (styling, quality, etc.) for Aldo money. For the money you want to spend, you'll have to settle for something like this:

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/tynda...2_color=Black Italian Calfskin#q=Monk&start=4

I agree with what this poster is saying. I haven't seen much that is AE comparable. Price? Sure, but you'll take a hit on quality. I think AE represents the price floor of well-made shoes. I also like the suggestion to look at johnston and murphy for a man on a budget.

bpsmith

Reaction score
Cool. Coolcoolcool. Another store in town has J&M Tyndall in stock. Nothing my size, but they have another location up island that does have them in my size. Arrangements have been made to get a pair down here.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Septieme Largeur, Meermin, and Loake

bpsmith

Reaction score
Got the shoes a bit ago, and just got around to posting a photo for you guys

dunivan

Reaction score
I know that this is opening Pandora's Box and that it's been asked before, but those threads seems to sprout suggestions that go upwards in terms of quality (Alden, then C&J and eventually John Lobb). I'm looking for sideways movement.
Crockett & Jones Malvern
I'm on the hunt for a nice, classy single monk. C&J tastes with an Aldo budget
baldy[1].gif
. If need be (and probably it is), I could stretch to an AE budget, but I don't have much love for the look of their single monks and the reviews on the site say they run towards the shite end of comfort.

Halp,
Bertrand

I tend to hit eBay for lightly used AE. I spend roughly 100-125/pair.

That said, I have a pair of Johnston and Murphy that feels slightly cheaper but are really comfortable. No qualms here

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads