Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Quality Alternaties to Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bpsmith, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

I know that this is opening Pandora's Box and that it's been asked before, but those threads seems to sprout suggestions that go upwards in terms of quality (Alden, then C&J and eventually John Lobb). I'm looking for sideways movement.
    [​IMG]Crockett & Jones Malvern
    I'm on the hunt for a nice, classy single monk. C&J tastes with an Aldo budget [​IMG]. If need be (and probably it is), I could stretch to an AE budget, but I don't have much love for the look of their single monks and the reviews on the site say they run towards the shite end of comfort.

Halp,
    Bertrand

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014

2. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

3. TomOwen

TomOwen Senior member

4. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Loake is supposed to be a similar alternative to Allen Edmonds, but I have no personal experience with them. Between the variety, customer service, and regular sales, Allen Edmonds seems like the most attractive option in that price range to me.

5. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Did a reconnoiter downtown to see what is actually available locally. Doesn't look good. One store stocks AE shoe polish, but the shoes they have are primarily Cole Haan...
    Another one has a whole two types of AE, which is more than I thought was in town, and they do have Johnston Murphy, site cites having that Tyndall, but I saw no evidence on the shelves.
    I did feel meh about suede in general, but now I'm starting to warm up to it, which opens up quite a few possibilities, including Meermin and Loake.

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

You might check out Sanders and Sanders which was recently mentioned in SF in the context of
    wide sizes. Their prices are well below C &J . My guess is that the quality is lower, but their dress shoes
    look decent in the WebSite. I would recommend Ludwig Reiter- only available in Europe, but they cost
    more than C & J these days.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/

Herring and Pediwear are other options

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/searc...d=4&colourid=&search_source=normal_search_box

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/search/resultsa.php

Last edited: May 1, 2014

7. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

I agree with what this poster is saying. I haven't seen much that is AE comparable. Price? Sure, but you'll take a hit on quality. I think AE represents the price floor of well-made shoes. I also like the suggestion to look at johnston and murphy for a man on a budget.

8. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Cool. Coolcoolcool. Another store in town has J&M Tyndall in stock. Nothing my size, but they have another location up island that does have them in my size. Arrangements have been made to get a pair down here.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Septieme Largeur, Meermin, and Loake

10. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Got the shoes a bit ago, and just got around to posting a photo for you guys
    [​IMG]

11. diadem

diadem Senior member