• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Alcohol for 21st Birthday.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone else posted along the lines of what to drink on their 21st, it being their first time drinking... My 21st is on the way in March and I'm looking for something more exclusive to get me Chevy Chased, but I'm not new to drinking however, Stone Brewery is right up the road so they've been a good friend, as has Jack and many others. But if you had to choose something nice (not some extravagant Glenfidditch or Macallan, though I wish) like Sam Adams Utopia - what would it be? Open to all, but never a fan of Vodka... Spend around 100-150 price range...

If I can find it I think I'll do Utopia, but I think its going to be a struggle to find.

hi-val

Reaction score
Good gin is never that expensive. Tanqueray Ten is a very good gin, will get you laquered too easily and is around $35. Bourbon will put hair on your chest and again, isn't too expensive. If you like tequila, I'm sure Patron will be fine.

There will be better suggestions coming along from other people.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Hypnotiq.

Seriously, go to some old downtown bar. You'll presumably have a gaggle of friends with you, so you really don't need to find the party, just go somewhere and b.s. Old downtown bars tend to have a rather stygian atmosphere, but the bartenders know their drinks. Order some crazy cocktails and have a good time. No need to drink 44 shots or anything stupid like that. (Good luck making sense out of the article - after 25 shots of schnapps he fell into a coma, but still wound up drinking 44 shots of tequila. The main point is don't die. Blacking out has it's fun points (I guess), but be safe.)

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...760254276.html

Fatal 44 shots of tequila served to boy

Two bartenders were convicted of grievous bodily harm by a Berlin state court on Monday for their role in serving at least 44 shots of tequila to a 16-year-old German boy who died after the drinking binge.

The court sentenced the two men, aged 21 and 18, to 10 months of social training.

A third bartender was acquitted while the trial for a fourth bartender, who is facing more serious charges of bodily harm with fatal consequences, has not yet started.

The 16-year-old boy got into a drinking contest against a bartender. But the four tricked the boy. While the bartender was drinking water, the 16-year-old was drinking schnapps. After 25 rounds he fell into a coma.

The boy was in the coma in a Berlin hospital for five weeks before he died of circulation problems last March.

The bar workers expressed regrets in court for their actions.

The case triggered a national debate over teenage alcohol abuse and the danger of "flat-rate" binge-drinking parties where customers pay a one-off entry fee and are served unlimited strong spirits all night.

Reuters

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
If you like tequila, I'm sure Patron will be fine.

Cazadore is better and less exspensive, but for the smae price you can don julio which is far superior.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are good, for my 21st I bought a case of Michelob. It was much better than the standard Red, White & Blue, Goebels, Milwaukee's Best or whatever other cheap beer we usually drank in college.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue Nun and acid.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
You guys are good, for my 21st I bought a case of Michelob. It was much better than the standard Red, White & Blue, Goebels, Milwaukee's Best or whatever other cheap beer we usually drank in college.
My dad has tons of college horror stories that revolve around a 30 of Goebels.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford

For extended beer pong play, we often use Natty Ice, or as we call it 'fitness water' so we can play longer
cheers.gif

hi-val

Reaction score
I find that there's an entirely different category of beers I like to call "dad beers". Things like PBR, Stroh, Blatz. They're pretty bad, but they have a little flavor and they're only a little more than Natty is. I still drink PBR if I feel like having a beer and nothing on tap looks good.

The suggestion to go to an old/upscale bar is a great one. Get drinks like Manhattans, Sidecars, Negronis, etc. Unless you are planning to have a party with this expensive hooch, you'll have a much more enjoyable time taking some friends to a nice bar and picking up the tab on some truly nice cocktails.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You're talking about buying yourself (or asking someone to gift you) a bottle, as opposed to something you'll be drinking in a bar? With a $100-$150 budget, I would not be so quick to write of MacAllan et al. You should be able to get a very nice bottle of scotch or bourbon in that price range.

For example: near the top end of that range you likely could get a MacAllan 18. Or you could get a couple of bottles of the MacAllan Cask Strength, which is a favorite of mine.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
You're talking about buying yourself (or asking someone to gift you) a bottle, as opposed to something you'll be drinking in a bar? With a $100-$150 budget, I would not be so quick to write of MacAllan et al. You should be able to get a very nice bottle of scotch or bourbon in that price range.

For example: near the top end of that range you likely could get a MacAllan 18. Or you could get a couple of bottles of the MacAllan Cask Strength, which is a favorite of mine.

Yes, this is what I was talking about. So I spose I'll have to reconsider my Scotch options.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you're obviously into craft beer, you could splurge on some delicious Belgian beers like Westvleteren 12 or anything by Cantillon. Shouldn't set you back more than 15-20$ a bottle so you can sample a few on that budget.

I haven't tried it, but I hear that Sam Adams Utopias is much overrated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads