1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Q: slim ties & spread collar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by legolas1282, Jan 24, 2009.

1. legolas1282

legolas1282 Member

I'm guessing that spread collars don't compliment skinny ties, but what about slimmer ties?

For example:
    [​IMG]

2. Azure

Azure Senior member

I'm guessing that spread collars don't compliment skinny ties, but what about slimmer ties?

For example:

Try it with a FIH knot to know...

3. bc78

bc78 Senior member

I like it. I often wear slim FIH knotted ties with spread collar shirts. I My collars have a little bit less of a spread though

4. JFKJean

JFKJean Senior member

I like it. I often wear slim FIH knotted ties with spread collar shirts. I My collars have a little bit less of a spread though

+1

5. Icarium

Icarium Senior member

For example:

I think slim ties on the order of 2.5-3.0" look awesome with a FIH knot and cutaway collar. It is actually my favorite look - most of my shirts are cutaway and all my ties are 3.0" or less [​IMG]

If you hunt around I think there are some good pics. Maybe try the "Best of WAYWT" thread.

6. Collector23

Collector23 Senior member

I wear 2.75" knit ties in a FIH with my cutway collars.

7. legolas1282

legolas1282 Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Just out of curiosity, why is a FIH knot preferred over a HW knot?

8. Collector23

Collector23 Senior member

Many feel that the symmetry of the HW appears too "studied and perfect" whereas the FIH appears more nonchalant.

Personally, I use both knots depending on the shirt, tie and my mood.

9. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

I wear slimmer ties with spread collars all the time. I like the look, and it's very sixties in style.

10. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

Wearing Slim(er) ties with FIH is very popular these days. I see nothing wrong with it as long as the tie isn't stupid skinny. I also enjoy the asymmetrical look of the FIH.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Many folks here think that it looks good, but I do not. Personally, a spread collar demands a larger knot and a more substantial tie, otherwise there is too much space around the collar.

12. XeF4

XeF4 Senior member

I also think that a spread collar looks better with a full sized tie.

13. senator1214

senator1214 Well-Known Member

Many folks here think that it looks good, but I do not. Personally, a spread collar demands a larger knot and a more substantial tie, otherwise there is too much space around the collar.

That tie knot in the picture doesn't help much. It looks weird having that slim tie with a Windsor. A FIH would be much better. But hey, just be true to your own sense of style. If you listen to all of the suggestions of people on this forum, your going to look just like everyone else here. Go look at the what are you wearing right now posts. They all look the same because of group think.

But since your asking, I prefer a more substantial tie as well

BE WELL

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

15. MadisonElite

MadisonElite Member

Button up the jacket. It will make the pic look better. I thik the perfect width is 3 1/2 inches.

16. Semi Fly

Semi Fly Active Member

Thought I'd bump this up rather than start a new thread.

Cutaway collar, Full Windsor, 2.5" tie.

I kinda dig it, just want to make sure that I'm not committing any sort of mortal sin or anything. This is my first spread/cutaway shirt and the one I will use for upcoming interviews. Most of my slim ties are 2.75-3. I think a slightly wider tie will make the knot less substantial than it seems here. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  17. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

The knot seems a bit out of proportion with the rest of your tie. I think I'd be more concerned with that ratio than the knot to collar one.

18. Semi Fly

Semi Fly Active Member

I learned on the Windsor and didn't really consider different knots until frequenting this site.
    I think the 4ih looks funny but the double 4ih and Half Windsor work well with a spread collar and slim tie[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

You are focusing too much on the tie, and not enough on your jacket collar IMHO. I've never liked the inverted triangle symmetry of the Windsor, and much prefer the double four in hand when I want a meatier knot.

20. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If you're gonna do a triangular knot I suggest dimpling it. Otherwise it kinda looks like a "graduation day" knot. Just my opinion...

Your four in hands look good.