• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Q: Older (?) Banana Republic Motorcycle Jacket

jnewell

Reaction score
I recently bought a Banana Republic motorcycle jacket for a very low price. I'd be interested in any background on this that anyone can provide (age, impressions of quality, etc.) The quality of the leather is very good. The zippers are brass YKK (very good). The body lining is cotton and the sleeves are lined with a nylon/acetate blend. All the stitching appears to be well-executed. In short, with only one small beef (the belt buckle could be better, I think), it appears to be a very well-made jacket. The label says made in Korea, if that helps date this jacket.

So, bottom line - my impression is very good. Obviously this is not a Schott or Vanson, but for the price ($15!) it was probably a huge bargain and I'm interested in anything anyone else knows on these jackets.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A full real leather jacket for $15 cannot be beat. Just leave it at that.

Even if the jacket were proven to be "crap", are you telling me you are going to return it?

My overall impression of anything BR is just OK. Not the best certainly, and not the bottom of the heap either.

BBRex

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see it. Do you have any pictures?

Enfo

Reaction score
i can most likley tell you what season/year if you get a picture

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BR's leather is pretty decent actually. A lot better than Wilson's in the mall for example, which most people consider nice looking. If you like it, wear it. Find some Vanson leather balm or similar conditioner (whatever type is correct for your particular jacket leather) and use that on it every few months, and it will last quite a while. Also, if the collar of the jacket is leather (esp. suede), please wear collared shirts so it doesn't get all grimy from neck sweat.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lexol is a great product for condition smooth leather jackets. I've found it works great on most anything else you have that's leather as well. Just make sure you condition leather when it shows signs of needing it. Not just for the hell of it. [It the jacket's suede, I'd be more cautios and look elsewhere].

Try posting a pic too, this thread is otherwise fairly lame without one.

jnewell

Reaction score
No, I'm not returning it, short of it glowing in the dark or walking around on its own...
wink.gif

As I said, the quality appears to be very good, maybe almost excellent. Here's some pics:

BananaRepublicLeatherMotorcycleJ-2.jpg

BananaRepublicLeatherMotorcycleJ-1.jpg

BananaRepublicLeatherMotorcycleJack.jpg

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome pickup, better than I envisioned a BR jacket, dark brown's the way to go with these!

Nitpicking, I think if there were an easy way to lose the belt, and loops it would make the classic style, cleaned up and a little more modern looking. Though, I lean toward classics with a twist in general... I'd keep it as it is however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads