Q&A with Michael Hill of Drake's conducted by Derek Guy of StyleForum (Part 1 of 2)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Dec 21, 2011.

1. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Being sometimes (too) direct myself, I realize that the mods may not want to ban people for plain rude posts. However, your post just makes a very strong argument for, at least, different levels of banning; e.g. if you hit the rudeness level you achieved in your post above, no more posting for you for the next six months. No idea where David gets the stomach from to post as polite a response as he did, but all the more power to him.

2. iroh

iroh Senior member

awesome reply. you should write an article on entreprenuer.com. i would love to read it.

so does this mean your ties are better quality than drakes? then why not raise your prices to match or exceed? why hold yourself back?

if your ties were made in london what do you estimate you will have to sell them for? i want to know how much of a price difference there really is for not using first world labour. if the price difference is not too much, i think most people wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to save jobs in america, there is a lot of hate for MIC nowadays as seen in the MC forums.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

IROH,

"awesome reply. you should write an article on entreprenuer.com. i would love to read it."

Thank you for your kind words sadly time does not allow for outside writing adventures.

"so does this mean your ties are better quality than drakes? then why not raise your prices to match or exceed? why hold yourself back?"

All our ties are custom made/bespoke - Drakes makes mostly ready made ties and some made to measure which they refer to as bespoke (I am not sure why) Custom made/bespoke ties all things being equal in terms of fabric skilled labor etc will always be better and this is a general statement I am not going to directly compare our ties - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will leave it to others to decide.

"if your ties were made in london what do you estimate you will have to sell them for? i want to know how much of a price difference there really is for not using first world labour. if the price difference is not too much, i think most people wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to save jobs in america, "

We are an American company owned and operated primarily by Americans for over 50 years with only a recent presence in Thailand so your question is very easy to answer from an American point of view - zero change in prices. We have never made clothes in England so I really can't answer about England.

As an example our grenadine ties were $80 when we were in Denver around 5 years ago they are still $80.

Now we are all waiting for your $1 tie photos which are as good as the best department store ties.... Please advise when you will be posting and don't forget closeup photos.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

David,

[​IMG]

Time is better spent finding some awesome new silks rather than wasting your time with this.

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

7. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

David, Thank you for your kind answers to Iroh.

Iroh, if you have more questions, please consult David's lengthy, detailed explanation of his ties in this thread. If, after a careful reading of that thread, you have further questions, I'm sure Mr. Hober would be happy to answer them by PM.

Let's try keep this thread to a discussion of the Drakes interviews as much as possible.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Thanks emptym. Part 2 will likely be up after the New Year, for those wondering.

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    Can't Wait. Thanks.

10. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Hear Hear.

:fonz: