1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Putting together my bar...(long)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by drizzt3117, Nov 23, 2004.

1. denarii

denarii Active Member

I am really close to Santa Ana, it's just the next city over, I will have to check it out...

Heh - nothing like a 2-yr delay to revive an old thread, but you might want to try Hi Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa as well ( http://www.hitimewine.net/ ). The staff are generally friendly, and can help you out a lot better than I. As for beers, take a look at some belgian beers (my favorites are chimay ales and rochefort trappists). Many of them have been double or triple fermented to produce more intense flavors (and higher alcohol content). Although, I'd recommend carrying bottles of 10-12 different types of beer, allowing your guests to choose their favorites or to experiment with new styles.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Heh, my cellar/bar has been done for awhile, but I do visit Hi Time on a pretty regular basis.

3. Homme

Homme Senior member

It may not be a bad idea to buy a bunch of cases, I think I am going to be going with a bunch of Australian stuff though, I don't want to sink a huge chunk of money into wine right now... I may try to stock up on a few lesser Australian reds that I like, and some American stuff, I have a few cases of Cakebread reds, and I may try to get a few of the Bin 128 and 389 from 2002.

If you can get your hands on it .. Penfolds Bin 128 from 2001 is a little superior to the 2002 (imo).

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Wow, you look well covered, but I might suggest some Spanish reds like Lan Rioja or Viñas del Cenit Venta Mazzaron Tempranillo. Granachas are good also.

As for rums, Ron Pampero Anniversario is a very nice, hi-quality rum with great packaging.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

If you can get your hands on it .. Penfolds Bin 128 from 2001 is a little superior to the 2002 (imo).

I have a few of these put away, they're pretty nice.

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

7. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

It depends what you are into as Sake selection can be far more confusing than wine selection. There are afterall, over 10,000 varieties of sake. Generally, I think a good junmai-daigingo is the safest, most flavorful and logical selection to keep behind a bar. I also think it would be best to stay away from a Nigori sake, for instance, because whilst it is good, it does have a peculiar taste and generally does not appeal to everyone. Even if I were to recommend a few bottles it can be very difficult to find specific types/brands in your area and when you do most of the labels are only written in Japanese! What I would do (and usually do myself) is go to your local Japanese grocer, and ask their advice on a good bottle of junmai-daigingo. Gekkeikan and Ozeki are two of the biggest Sake producers in Japan and always make a decent, dependable bottle; they are also easier to find in the U.S. than alot of the Sakes from smaller producers. Also, if you do have Japanese friends, as you said, make sure to get a bottle of Shochu! The ladies love Chuhai [​IMG] .......

And don't forget to buy a few choko to serve the sake in!

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Looking well-prepared, Kent. I have been drinking beer and wine to the exclusion of liquor lately, so I'm afraid my bar is looking a little neglected (i.e., actually dusty).

[​IMG]

Urgh, shochu... reminds me of drunk nights eating shrimp crackers and singing Scorpions at the noraebang.