• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

putting together a stereo music system (turntable+amplifier+speakers)

wootx

Reaction score
So, until now I've been listening to some of the vinyl records I had found at home (my mother's) on an old, probably crappy turntable which is several years old.
Speakers just died the past weekend (after some weird sounds one stopped working).
The amplifier is probably the only thing which is still in working conditions, but whatever.

Needless to say, I'm now looking for some recommendations on what pieces to buy -- keep in mind I don't want any high-level components, since this would be my very first system and I think I need some time to find what I might really enjoy.

As for the turntable, I've read favourable reviews of the Pro-ject Debut III. Most say it's well worth the money. I think this is about 300.
I don't know which of the Regas is in the same range of performance as the Project, but from what I have read here the P3 is pretty much in the bottom of any rankings for any audiophile. Have no idea what price this retails at.

The difference between integrated amplifier and pre-amplifier+amplifier doesn't bother me: I'm going to purchase a IA, unless some of you can really convince me the other solution sounds much better.
I have put my eyes on a NAD entry-level Integrated Amplifier which is around 300. I read some good things about it it has some nice buttons. I might pull my trigger on that one.

Speakers. it looks like they are (should be) the most expensive piece since they let actually you hear sounds. unfortunately, I read up quite a lot about speakers positioning but almost anything about what to keep in mind when choosing speakers.

I have no interest in playing CDs (as of now), but I guess it's all about buying a decent CD player and plugging it in the amplifier. Amirite?

Mind sharing your thoughs/suggestions/experience?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budget?

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Budget and room size both would be useful. Also what types of music do you listen to most?

As for Rega, it is much better a table than the Pro-Jects in my experience. The new RP1 would be especially worthwhile.

wootx

Reaction score
I have no specific budget on mind, being my priority putting together a decent-sounding beginner's system. I think somewhere around 1500 is fine (lol at those turntables worth more than this all
smile.gif
The room I had my previous system in (and plan on placing this as well) is 5x5 metres (~16x16 feet). I will check how many watts my speakers were, but this shouldn't be a problem since it's a pretty small room. I listen to rock and prog rock most of the time, and some classical music and jazz when I'm in the mood for it. thakns for your input. Apart from Pro-ject and Rega, is there any other makers which is worth checking out, considered the low budget? -- Those are the ones I read about: given my ignorance in this topic, I'm more than happy to hear your opinions.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Audio-Technica has a great $250 table. I can get the model number for you.

Look at the NAD BEE Series integrated amps (C356 is $799) and some high quality monitor speakers like Focal 705V or 706V or Paradigm Mini Monitor v.6or Usher S520. The Magnepan MMG at $599 is a great speaker if you can do a small panel speaker.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to diff speakers before buying. And never rely on a built-in phono stage for your TT.

wootx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Audio-Technica has a great $250 table. I can get the model number for you.
This would be great, thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Look at the NAD BEE Series integrated amps (C356 is $799) and some high quality monitor speakers like Focal 705V or 706V or Paradigm Mini Monitor v.6or Usher S520. The Magnepan MMG at $599 is a great speaker if you can do a small panel speaker.

Yeah, I was looking at the C-316. I would consider the C356 in case a phono stage is absolutely necessary.

The Magnepan MMG look great. I will see what can I do to get y hands on these.

Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Listen to diff speakers before buying. And never rely on a built-in phono stage for your TT.

So, would it bebetter buying a phono stage too? Any pointers?

wootx

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I'm now looking for a retailer nearby.

Speakers, I will most likely get the Magnepan. i really like them.

Any thoughts about an additional phono stage? Should I get one?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wootx
Thanks for the link. I'm now looking for a retailer nearby.

Speakers, I will most likely get the Magnepan. i really like them.

Any thoughts about an additional phono stage? Should I get one?

Look at the Simaudio phono stages at $500-600 and the Vincent PHO-8 at $400.

wootx

Reaction score
I have ordered the AT LP120 and am now looking at (listening to) some speakers to get an idea as to what sounds best.

I also checked out the phono stages, but I'm still confused as to whether I ened one or not. The salesman told me I could directly plug the turntable into the amplifier and it would work fine. Am I correct in assuming phono stages are necessary with non-integrated amplifiers or they improve the sound quality significantly any way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads