1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Putting together a business wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gehrig, May 1, 2006.

1. cpac

cpac Senior member

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.

I think I'll probably start out with CEGO for shirts. Does anyone have any advice on which fabrics to request? Also, do you think I'd be able to get my measurements from there so that I can experiment with some of the mail order shirt options as well? My upper body sweats profusely, especially when it's hot out, so I'd like to have the ability to pick up some less expensive shirts for hot summer days.

Carl is great and can steer you towards good fabrics and away from bad ones, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I keep finding more and more to like.

As for whether he'll provide measurements to send to other makers, he's nice, but I don't see any reason to expect him to be willing to do this. If you're worried about your sweat ruinning the shirts, the simplest solution is to wear an undershirt. Beyond that there are many solutions online for getting out sweatstains should they occur.

For the summer it's obviously not at all necessary. For the winter I'd say it is because pretty much any other kind of coat (i.e. a shorter coat) looks rather ridiculous with a suit.

A possible compromise would be investing in a trenchcoat/raincoat without a liner.

4 pairs is a great start. Better than picture databases of shoes is just going to the stores that sell them in person. You can see Alden and Allen Edmonds within a block or two of each other in midtown. For me personally going much above the $500 range in shoes isn't worth it, but then it may be for you. One thing to consider is whether you can negotiate large purchase discounts from some people. (I'd wager, e.g., that if you were going to buy 4 pair of shell cordovan from the Alden store on Madison that you could get a couple hundred off at the very least, and maybe get it up to 1 pair free)

Absolutely. Very few law firms still require business dress (most are business casual), but even those that are would never look down on you for brown or burgundy shoes.

That's Mr. Ned. Mr. Ed was a horse. Again, I'd start with basic fabrics, navy solid, charcoal solid, and then go from there. The various solids he has at the $800/$850 (I forget which it is) price point are a great place to start.

Plenty of office-appropriate options at all 3.

It can be appealing, though everybody here will tell you fit is much more important than any other single aspect. If you end up buying a discount suit, you'll need to take it to a good alterations tailor to see what they can do for you. If you're lucky, OTR will fit you relatively well with minor adjustments, if not, well that's why there's bespoke/m2m.

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Good choice. Carl will take care of you. He has two levels--basically MTM and bespoke if I remember correctly. You can get some inexpensive shirts through the first, especially if you stick with basic fabrics. He has plenty, including some nice end bolts, so just tell him what interests you.

I think one is definitely mandatory. You could do without it for many months, but you'll want one in the fall/winter. Now is a good time to buy, if you can, because it's out of season.

Sounds good to me, at least to start. You'll probably end up wanting more, but for a BUSINESS wardrobe, that's good. I'd personally avoid spending EG prices until I knew exactly what I wanted for that money. That's an expensive purchase to regret.

Yes, especially if you are a normal size like 40R or 44R.

3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Hi,

If you are a lawyer, you need an overcoat for cooler weather. But it doesn't sound like you're a lawyer.

Discovering your pants size is easy. Just look at the rear interior of the waistband of what you're wearing now. Unless it's jeans or has been modified, the size is probably the one to buy.

4. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I was about to say the same thing. I wear a 44/45 and 37 inch waist, and I'm shorter and heavier than you.
    I'd recommend you go to someplace like Brooks and get one suit, have it altered there, and live in it a bit before you buy three more.

Your tastes will change rapidly as you get into this hobby; so what you like today you might hate in a month.

I agree with this. Get one. Try it out, do a lot of window shoppings and discover your taste and style. Before you buy suits, try many different models. Learn and feel the proper fit.