• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting suits *in* the garment bag...

bmiller

Reaction score
Hey all,

I will be doing a bit of travelling in the upcoming weeks and I will be bringing about 3-4 suits/jackets with me on the plane. I have a large briggs and riley garment bag for the trip. Upon testing it out, I am wondering whether I should keep the jackets on their large supportive wooden hangers, or put them on some smaller metal ones while they are in the bag inorder to fit more. Will this mess with my shoulder pads, or is a day on a less supportive hanger no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

Edward

Reaction score
Wooden hangers will weigh too much - get some good plastic hangers that give good support.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmiller
Hey all,

I will be doing a bit of travelling in the upcoming weeks and I will be bringing about 3-4 suits/jackets with me on the plane. I have a large briggs and riley garment bag for the trip. Upon testing it out, I am wondering whether I should keep the jackets on their large supportive wooden hangers, or put them on some smaller metal ones while they are in the bag inorder to fit more. Will this mess with my shoulder pads, or is a day on a less supportive hanger no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

I would say - take your larger wooden ones. BTW, do not forget two things - one is to put the suits in separate bags (the kind that they will sell you the suits) and packed also with dry cleaner plastics, to minimize wrinkles, and at least hang the bag when you arrive (better it will be to take out the suits, check them and let them rest). From my experience the best is to have a suitcase that has a hanging compartment and check that in, traveling light is always tricky, and packing is a thing to learn!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmiller
wondering whether I should keep the jackets on their large supportive wooden hangers, or put them on some smaller metal ones while they are in the bag inorder to fit more. Will this mess with my shoulder pads, or is a day on a less supportive hanger no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

I didnt know that thinner hangers would damage the jackets. I see all the time at places like nordstrom and saks hang their suits on the thin wooden hangers for sale rather than using the expensive ones with the bulky ends. And they would probably hang their for months to even a year maybe until someone buys the suit and it still is and wears fine to my knowledge.

Unless you were talking about the metal wire hangers. Now that's a problem.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I didnt know that thinner hangers would damage the jackets. I see all the time at places like nordstrom and saks hang their suits on the thin wooden hangers for sale rather than using the expensive ones with the bulky ends. And they would probably hang their for months to even a year maybe until someone buys the suit and it still is and wears fine to my knowledge.
They will. Suits that have been stored for so long on such hangers develop odd creases, and depending on the fabric, stretching can occur. They use the thinner hangers because 1. they cost less, and 2. they take up less space. That's more real estate left free for them to fill with stuff you don't need.

Taxler

Reaction score
How big is a garment bag that allows for 4 suits and 4 large wood hangers? While the bag's in transit, hangers aren't supporting anything, so I don't see the point, and any decent hotel should have adequate hangers available.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fly every 2-3 weeks for up to a 5 days at a time.

I carry no more than 2-3 suits, use one full size hanger & double/triple all the suits then put in a thin garment bag (I get them from Ikea or Muji) - fold in half & pack in a hard case - I have never had success with suit carriers as their is no structure & the creases are deeper.

From my recent WAYW post, what I have pack for 4-5 days of meetings in SIN.
L1080012W.jpg

L1080019N.jpg
L1080016N.jpg

My luggage of choice - the above all fit into the 3/4 4-wheeler & the roll on has my 2 lap tops, soft Prada laptop bag as well as a spare set of underwear, socks & toiletries incase there is a unplanned lay-off in between:
L1000280W.jpg

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I fly every 2-3 weeks for up to a 5 days at a time.

I carry no more than 2-3 suits, use one full size hanger & double/triple all the suits then put in a thin garment bag (I get them from Ikea or Muji) - fold in half & pack in a hard case - I have never had success with suit carriers as their is no structure & the creases are deeper.

From my recent WAYW post, what I have pack for 4-5 days of meetings in SIN.

My luggage of choice - the above all fit into the 3/4 4-wheeler & the roll on has my 2 lap tops, soft Prada laptop bag as well as a spare set of underwear, socks & toiletries incase there is a unplanned lay-off in between:

Thank you Phat Guido. This was very informative and your posts are generally an inspiration.
worship.gif

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ditto that, PG. I always wondered what kind of luggage you used for your long, very well dressed trips. Next I want to see a picture of your closet, or do you have a separate building for your wardrobe?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd listen to PG - he's got a lot of nice clothes and lot of traveling expertise. My travel is a bit different than PG's: I travel for longer periods (3+ weeks usually) and I'm going a farther distance (I think, anyways - IAD to HKG is a haul), but my tactics are similar. My clothes, shoes, and watches, unfortunately, are not.

My $0.02: I'd go with a nice wooden hanger, not plastic. I've used plastic in the past and they break in transit and then you're just screwed. Use something nice and bulky that will withstand the abuse that baggage handlers will dish out. If you follow PG's advice and use one hanger for multiple garments, the additional weight of the wooden hanger is somewhat mitigated by cutting down on the number of hangers.

Be sure to use the plastic dry cleaner sheeting to protect each layer. Will help prevent wrinkles.

Definitely do not use a wire hanger. The shoulders of your garments will look like hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads