• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting on socks

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went through a couple of other posts on socks but didn't find an answer to this question: do you guys put your socks on by kind of bunching them up, putting in your toe, and then pulling them over... or do you put them on without bunching them up?

I usually bunch them up, but I've been thinking of changing to the other way.

This is for a meeting with the Senior Partner at the Law Firm, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bunching them up is usually easier, and, I suspect, puts less stress on the sock.

Can we make this thread like the one about belt-threading, with rules declared and acrimony shared?
sly.gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bunching them up. It's never occurred to me to do it otherwise.

Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
This is for a meeting with the Senior Partner at the Law Firm, if that makes a difference.
laugh.gif

mrchapel

Reaction score
I wasn't aware there was any other way to do so...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quit wearing socks because I found the sock salesmen at Ralph Lauren so intolerably rude.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
Bunching them up. It's never occurred to me to do it otherwise.
[trolling] There's only one correct way to put on socks. If you have aerodynamic ankles and feet like myself, you wouldn't need to bunch up and wrinkle your socks. It slips right in and latches onto my fee tlike a friendly puppy. Anyone who bunches up their socks before wearing are vulgar miscreants who deserve the very worst in polyster technology. When I was in the Krygystani army 25 years ago, bunched up sock wearing would have garnered you as many whippings as your shoe size number. And I mean Japanese sizes, none of this pansy Euro or US sizing. [/trolling]

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

Is this a meeting which you'll just be "passing by," or have you actually been invited to the meeting?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's the method my mother told me:

Turn sock inside out.

Put one hand inside and grab the toe, while you hold the heel section with the other hand.
Now pull foot section through.

You now have a "˜cave' for the foot while the rest of the sock, the "˜legging"˜, still inside out,
hangs over it, going into the wrong direction.

Slip your foot into the "˜cave', grab the top of the sock (by the elastic) and pull the "˜legging' bit
over your own leg.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is amazing! Last night I had a dream about putting on socks. I was in this seemingly endless white space, with only a small three-legged stool upon which to sit, and a basket full of casual cotton socks. They were all bundled together in pairs, and I felt this overwhelming need to try each and every one of them on my feet.

I am not a buncher by the way. I too, have aerodynamic tarsi, so sliding into the sock is quite easy. But I digress....

I would put on a sock by sort of crossing my leg over the opposite knee, and then when I went to put the other sock on, I found I'd somehow incurred a white-ish, powdery scuff mark on the knee of my pants leg. Try as I might, the mark wouldn't come out. Out, out, spot, I cried...but to no avail.

I wonder what that means?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's horrible.

I put my socks on both feet at once. I mean, one sock each, but together. Is this considered too formal?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Cretins! All of you. Why are you even putting on your own socks? Do you not have servants?

aarghh

Reaction score
Gandhi wore his dhoti bunched up.

aarghh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I would put on a sock by sort of crossing my leg over the opposite knee, and then when I went to put the other sock on, I found I'd somehow incurred a white-ish, powdery scuff mark on the knee of my pants leg. Try as I might, the mark wouldn't come out. Out, out, spot, I cried...but to no avail.

I wonder what that means?

That you should always put on your socks before your trousers.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I quit wearing socks because I found the sock salesmen at Ralph Lauren so intolerably rude.

I had a similar problem but instead of stopping to wear socks I just met them in the streat and pushed them down when I saw them. When they tried to get up I offered them wheatgrass juice and yelled ZiegHeil! Wait... wrong thread... Heck... almost like a wrong era!

laugh.gif

PS: I also get that white dust mark on the pants.
wow.gif
wow.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads