Putting Off The Married Life

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SoleBajan, May 12, 2009.

1. SoleBajan

SoleBajan Active Member

Between Barbados and Martinique (France).
    Long but thought-provoking read grâce à Facebook. What do you think?

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I'm 32 and still single (well, I have a girlfriend, but I'm not married). I would like to settle down at some point, but when I can date a series of hot women in their mid-twenties, have all the sex I want but still have my own place and my own space, and focus on my career, it's really hard to give that up. I mean really, there is no incentive other than to pass along my bloodline.

When you're single, you're only living for yourself. There's great material benefit to that, but I believe a long-term deletrious spiritual and emotional detriment.

I know that long-term, I should really grow up, but I've been saying that for about ten years now.

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Only reason I would get married is to start a family. Otherwise if I found someone great we could just be in a long-term relationship until we decided not to.

I agree with FLMM in that living alone for too long isn't healthy, but marriage is not the only way to solve that. Besides, what does marriage bring to the table for a man, exactly? I can see it being a security deposit for the family that the man won't up and leave on a whim. But again, where is the benefit for the man himself?

4. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

I think the ledger thing is a good analogy for the analysis that I go through. As has happened with all the girls in my past, one day, the bad things add up to a higher sum than good things and I say "no more". This has always left them shocked and confused. They always flip out and can't understand how I could "break up" with them so "suddenly". I don't think women realize the cumulative effect of their behavior.

5. MetroStyles

I think the ledger thing is a good analogy for the analysis that I go through. As has happened with all the girls in my past, one day, the bad things add up to a higher sum than good things and I say "no more". This has always left them shocked and confused. They always flip out and can't understand how I could "break up" with them so "suddenly". I don't think women realize the cumulative effect of their behavior.

The only reason I break up with a woman is that I can't see myself marrying her. Drivers of this can include:
    - I still want to sleep with other women too much to believe I can stay faithful forever. I don't want to be a chronically-cheating husband so I break up then and there.
    - She does not challenge me intellectually enough to be my long-term mate.
    - She does not turn me on sexually enough for me to foresee my love life being great for a long time.

6. Milhouse

Milhouse Senior member

The only reason I break up with a woman is that I can't see myself marrying her. Drivers of this can include:
    - I still want to sleep with other women too much to believe I can stay faithful forever. I don't want to be a chronically-cheating husband so I break up then and there.
    - She does not challenge me intellectually enough to be my long-term mate.
    - She does not turn me on sexually enough for me to foresee my love life being great for a long time.

How long do your relationships last? Those are the types of things I think about during dating phases. By the time I consider a woman to be a girlfriend, it has been quite a while (months). At that phase, it becomes about compatibility for me, e.g. can I live with this woman for the rest of my life without lots of problems? Well, if she constantly asks me about other women on a regular basis, despite me being faithful, I make it known that I do not like it, and if it continues much more, I walk away, for example. The women have always been shocked when they find out it wasn't a bluff and that I meant it needed to stop completely.

7. MetroStyles

How long do your relationships last? Those are the types of things I think about during dating phases. By the time I consider a woman to be a girlfriend, it has been quite a while (months). At that phase, it becomes about compatibility for me, e.g. can I live with this woman for the rest of my life without lots of problems? Well, if she constantly asks me about other women on a regular basis, despite me being faithful, I make it known that I do not like it, and if it continues much more, I walk away, for example. The women have always been shocked when they find out it wasn't a bluff and that I meant it needed to stop completely.
    My relationships last 5 months - 3 years. Shorter and shorter as I've grown older and made quicker decisions. If a girl asks me about other women incessantly, I will generally end it before it starts. Edit: Also on the sexual front: sometimes you can be totally into it for year(s) and then not be feeling it anymore after a while. I found this to be the case with attractive girls who are passive in bed.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

If all you have to fall back on is $200K per year, then I agree, marriage makes no sense.

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

If all you have to fall back on is $200K per year, then I agree, marriage makes no sense.
    [​IMG]

10. MetroStyles

And imagine, my ex-wife would get half of my measly assets! I'd be left a pauper.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

12. nootje

nootje Senior member

A bit of irony in there.. With all the divorce laws created to protect the female companion, men are a lot less inclined to marry without a prenup or marry at all, and with that leaving the women even less protected then before..

13. MetroStyles

A bit of irony in there.. With all the divorce laws created to protect the female companion, men are a lot less inclined to marry without a prenup or marry at all, and with that leaving the women even less protected then before..

Cat and mouse.

I don't see myself getting married without a prenup. Either I will ask for one, or she will be rich and too smart to not get me to sign one.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I don't see myself getting married without a prenup.

This is gold. Keep it up!

15. MetroStyles

This is gold. Keep it up!
    You haven't really contributed anything insightful to this discussion: only snark & irony. That's quite splendid, but I'm genuinely interested in hearing your opinion as to why certain points of view in this thread are so comical to you.