• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Put This On - Jesse Thorn's 10 Essentials - Discuss.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Jesse's show Put This On is popular and highly regarded by most, here. I'm curious your opinion of his selected top 10 essentials on Style Hunting's blog:

http://stylehunting.tumblr.com/post/...om-put-this-on

Discuss!

Put This On is a fantastic "web series about dressing like a grownup" run by Jesse Thorn and Adam Lisagor. If you haven't checked them out, do so now.

Here are Jesse's 10 Essentials:

1. Lands' End Custom Fit Oxford in Blue

These were $14.95 or something, and outside of custom shirts, they're the ones I wear most. Fabric is great, fit is good (though not fashion slim), collars are nice. Just a great value.

2. Alternative Apparel White T-Shirts

I got an Alternative Apparel promo shirt in the mail one day, and it was so nice that I called the company and switched all my shirts to Alternative. I have a wholesale account, so I just buy white tees by the dumpster load.

3. Gap Crew-Neck Sweatshirt

I bought this from Gap for less than $30. It's lightweight, which is great here in Southern California. I feel like I can wear it anywhere, anytime. I've worn it under a sportcoat, with jeans, khakis...it's simple, and it matches everything.

4. Tailored Bill's Khakis Bullard Field Pant

I bought a couple pairs of Bill's from Sierra Trading Post, and even their slimmest fit is cut for dads, so I had my tailor cut them down a bit. They're build like tanks, I think they'll last five years or more of heavy wear. So many of the slim-fitting khakis on the market have really low rises, and I'm not skinny enough to wear that ****. Plus I usually wear my shirt tucked in. High rise, slim leg, tough fabric...great for every day wear.

5. Vintage Carrol & Co. Burgundy Grenadine Tie

This was a replacement for a Sulka that I got a spot on. A beautiful tie, complimentary to my preferred colors, and incredibly easy to wear.

6. The New Yorker

I love The New Yorker so much. Maybe that makes me a parody of a public radio host, but it's just the reality. And the magazine's the perfect size for bringing with you somewhere. I take Monocle, which I like, and Cook's Illustrated, but The New Yorker is the world champ.

7. Junghans Max Bill Automatic

I just think that this is the most beautiful watch you can buy. Mine's on a neutral leather band, which has darkened with wear.

8. Alden Indy Boots

September through May, these are on my feet three days a week.

9. Black & White Herringbone Vintage Brooks Brothers Tweed Sport Coat

I bought this at a thrift store. It's old - I'd guess 60s - and it's a little ragged. I had to repair the lining a little. But it's so wearable. I wear it twice a week, weather permitting.

10. Shure SM-7 Microphone

I've been producing my radio show, The Sound of Young America, from home for more than five years now. This mic gives me beautiful response without picking up the room noise that's inherent in not having a real studio. They used this mic to record Michael's vocals for Thriller.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved this list.
Jesse such a Dandy but he pulls it off beautifully. Im a big fan of his podcasts so I always wonder if he is wearing a suit and tie while conducting interviews and hosting Jordan Jesse Go from his studio (Living Room in his house). Thought the Lands End and Gap were a testament to the guys ability to put a clean and cohesive outfit together without getting caught up in the branding aspect. I admire the **** out of Jesse - guys my ******* idol.

rjacobs

Reaction score
I stand by my Røde NT-1A. While the Shure might be better for Jesse's very specific use, I find that if I'm careful about how I set up in my home studio, I can minimize noise and get a better pickup of the frequencies my voice produces from the cheaper Røde.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
1. Lands' End Custom Fit Oxford in Blue

These were $14.95 or something, and outside of custom shirts, they're the ones I wear most. Fabric is great, fit is good (though not fashion slim), collars are nice. Just a great value.
These are more like $50 now, right?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Is the LEC button up shirt he recommended actually any good?

LE tailored fit OCBDs are definitely a steal. They can sometimes be had under $20. I think he's confusing their tailored fit with PRLs custom fit. LE has custom OCBDs but they are more expensive, and not quite MTM.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
LE tailored fit OCBDs are definitely a steal. They can sometimes be had under $20. I think he's confusing their tailored fit with PRLs custom fit. LE has custom OCBDs but they are more expensive, and not quite MTM.

Thanks for catching that, gladhands. I did indeed mean "Tailored Fit."

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics