• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Put the damn treadmill in front of the TV

stevejobs

Reaction score
Fact: The average person watches four hours of TV per day.
Fact: Americans are the fattest people in the world.
Fact: Health care costs are exploding, which obesity is a significant contributor.
Fact: Not enough people get enough exercise.

I have a simple way to improve the health of Americans without causing much discomfort or difficulties. If you are overweight, get a treadmill and place it in front of your big screen TV. For beginners, start the treadmill on its slowest speed and work up from there month by month until you can achieve a brisk 5 mph speed.

Five mph won't seriously detract from TV viewing and if you even use it for one out of the four hours you watch TV, you can shed thousands of calories you otherwise would retain each week. It takes net reduction of about 3500 calories to eliminate one pound of body weight. You should be able to shed a pound every two weeks and as you exercise more you'll be able to do more intense activities that will shed more fat while building muscle.

Do you think you'll be laughed at by relatives and friends? It is better than the low self-esteem from being overweight.

So forget fad diets, calorie counting, weight-loss books, or having to hire a training coach, just acquire a treadmill, put it in front of your TV and go from there.

Ciao.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Won't work. It's not the issue of not being able to exercise, but the issue of not doing it because it's an alternative.

oxide

Reaction score
I do push-ups during ads. Its time well spent compared to watching the same adverts again and again.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oxide
I do push-ups during ads. Its time well spent compared to watching the same adverts again and again.

Damn, I just mute

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hour or so in front of the tv before bed is my time to decompress and relax. I suspect that this is the case for the majority of people. I don't want to even get off the couch to refill my coffee, and my lifestyle is far from sedentary. I don't see how sedentary people would be motivated to exercise during their "wind down" time. Changing from a sedentary and unhealthy to an active and healthy lifestyle requires commitment.

I do do pushups and some other BW exercises during commercials if I am watching a game in the afternoon or something though...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That would require that I start watching TV.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we are getting a treadmill for the basement for this exact reason.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevejobs
...get a treadmill and place it in front of your big screen TV...
You sound like Sam Kinison

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
It's even better if you put the t.v. on your shoulders while walking on the treadmill. Better still is putting the treadmill on your shoulders.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My gym put LCD tv's on most of its cardio equipment. Kind of weirds me out actually...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my wife's gym has a 42" lcd attached by some wierd apparatus to every treadmill and eliptical, about 7 feet in front of your head

Night Owl

Reaction score
How about if all TVs were mandated to come hooked up to a treadmill powersupply. The TV shuts off unless you run.

hamster-wheel-race.jpg

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
well, for a few starters,

cost is one, many people cannot afford to get a treadmill.
noise and clutter is another. lot of us live in an apartment, and it would be noisy for the downstairs tenants (as we live upstairs)
clutter, meaning, lot of folks live out of their family or living rooms with limited space. you have a coffee table, sofa, etc , and for many, it is not practical to have a treadmill smack in the living room.

clean up and maintenance. there is grease and grime coming off the thing . better to keep in a gym or a garage. also dust and perpiration in the air on a daily evening basis does not sit well with alot of people. people eat there. live there.

i guess if you live alone this would be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads