• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpose of gunflap on trench coat

drax

Reaction score
Supposedly you wedged a pad of cotton underneath it to cushion the shoulder from recoil.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think it's a gun flap at all, it buttons over when the coat is fully closed and prevents water running inside the coat.

burberry1_blog.jpg

That's the only picture I could find with a coat fully closed. On that women's coat, the flap is on the left shoulder,
as ladies button the other way (but they would shoot the same way as men folk).

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
That's the only picture I could find with a coat fully closed. On that women's coat, the flap is on the left shoulder,
as ladies button the other way (but they would shoot the same way as men folk).

but then again, women, historically, weren't really trained to shoot guns.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of trench coats some of them have little bibs right near the collar

does anyone know the purpose of those?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I don’t think it’s a gun flap at all, it buttons over when the coat is fully closed and prevents water running inside the coat.
burberry1_blog.jpg
That’s the only picture I could find with a coat fully closed. On that women’s coat, the flap is on the left shoulder, as ladies button the other way (but they would shoot the same way as men folk).

Interesting. They are called "gunflaps" though. I have a single breasted jacket that has this..

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
some brittish officers wore their pistols in shoulder holsters. the gun flap was to cover an access opening to the weapon. todays flap is not real but only a token.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
some brittish officers wore their pistols in shoulder holsters. the gun flap was to cover an access opening to the weapon. todays flap is not real but only a token.

That makes a lot of sense but I'm curious why it's on the right shoulder. Most people would cross draw with their right hand from a left shoulder holster. It's interesting how we have these vestiges or tokens in today's clothing.

ghulkan, I don't know what you mean by a bib.

drax

Reaction score
I wasnt convinced before but now i do think its more likely for a rifle since most men (right handers) would hold the butt to their right shoulder. I may have to call my contacts at Burberry to find out more. Somewhere i have a facsimile of the first catalog that had a 'tielocken' the first trenchcoat i believe explained in it...watch this space. Lord knows where it is though...

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I checked with my friend EJ, the most knowledgeable person on these matters that I know, and this is what he wrote back:

"The confusion seems to come from the fact that most gun flaps today aren't really properly cut. The flap is essentially a "capelet", designed to button over and keep water from running into the upper corner on the buttoned side of the coat. If you button up a trench coat, you may notice that the part just infront of the collarbone is just one piece of fabric on top of the other, and the overlap is open on the top edge. This lets water in, and if you raise yr arms (for any reason, but for example, shouldering a rifle), it has a tendency to open up even more by separating the lower and overlapping side of the coat. The gun flap covers it. It all seems vy arcane and fussy (which it is), but it's also vy Victorian.

This rather stylised example shows on used more-or-less properly:

http://www.kitmeout.com/img_assets/burberry1_blog.jpg "

Singular

Reaction score
It's there because of the traditional style. Why do you think there is a buttonhole in a jacket lapel? Or buttons at the sleeve? They've lost their use, but still remain there.

/M

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

otacon

Reaction score
+1 for the decoration

My dad's black trench can really only be fully buttoned one way--if it even buttons on the top. It still has a flap and button though, on the side that is the overlay. So it really serves no purpose on his coat, from what I can tell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads