• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpose of 3/2 roll?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Okay, newbie question. I understand what a 3/2 roll is, but not clear on it's purpose. Seems like if you normally just button the middle button, why not just have a 2 button suit? Sorry if it seems a silly question, just trying to learn.

EZ

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
One suspends one's suspendable accoutrements via one's ne plus ultra hole de bouton.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's one better than a 2/2 roll. Unless you are wearing a grey flannel 1-button suit.

I like to decorate the top button with a little marzipan.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Thanks for the link music, I looked through it. However I concur with the Doctor, that thread deteriorated rapidly into worthless drivel with no real answers. Maybe it's just a personal preference thing and there is no "correct" answer. Dunno.

EZ

AlSailor

Reaction score
Its purpose is the same as the purpose of the bottom button that you never button.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
However I concur with the Doctor, that thread deteriorated rapidly into worthless drivel with no real answers.

Sometimes a more careful reading is required.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I was relieved to see that I didn't post in that thread.

A 3/2 roll can be a beautiful thing.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlSailor
Its purpose is the same as the purpose of the bottom button that you never button.
I think this is right.
Once upon a time, people wore jackets with really high buttons. Like this
crowellhadden1903.jpg

When they began rolling the lapel to a lower stance people kept some of the higher button holes, because doing away with them just looked wrong. We still have a button hole at the very top of the lapel. Why keep that buttonhole and not keep the middle one.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
T-r-a-d-i-t-i-o-n, ol' son.

Mid 20th century iconic Ivy toffs sobriqueted "Barf" etc. mindlessly did so, why can't you?

Are you some covert, anarchistic, disestablishmentarian, Bolshy boat rocker bent on disrupting the the status quo of WASPish habiliment? Questioning the natural order won't do, can't be abided, no sir. Things are the way they are, for good reason. Never question authority.

So, now you know.

Glad to have been of assistance.

NiFTY

Reaction score
I always assume it is a little bit of spezzatura. Its like you had a nice old jacket when 3 button was in style and instead of buying a new 2 button, you just re-pressed it. Like how antiqued shoes look old but cost more than shoes that would otherwise look newer, if you catch my drift.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Okay, newbie question. I understand what a 3/2 roll is, but not clear on it's purpose.

It is simply a sadistic way to get as much benefit out of your tailor because you get an extra button and a buttonhole without any price increment. You know, for a payment equivalent to a housing downpayment, surely you want to work your tailor to his death.

LaoHu

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads