• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purple vest lining. Too much?

ran183

Reaction score
So I'm getting a gray 3 piece suit and from what I've read here it's a good idea to match the back lining of the vest with the lining inside the jacket.

The suit isn't for work or anything and I like a loud lining so I was thinking perhaps a dark purple color. But then the back of the vest will have to be the same color too.

I probably won't wear it without the jacket as a default, but there will be times when maybe I'd like to take the jacket off and roll up my sleeves. Would this colored lining on the vest back look bad?

I also have the option to make the vest back the same fabric as the suit/vest. But I don't know if that's a good idea. Also, it's really hot here in Texas.

Here's an image I photoshopped as a reference. Thanks guys!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it, but I like purple.
Definitely not conservative business dress, but you don't sound concerned about that, so...

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it and in formal situations you will wear the jacket anyway.

Xenon

Reaction score
I usually prefer my vest back the same as the suit fabric, but also have a few vests with the back made from lining. Depends on the purpose.

The purple you pictured is awesome and very versatile with grays, olives, taupes, blacks. Certain blues/navy would be about the only colors I would avoid for purple lining.

The major point though is that Texas combined with vests/3 piece wouldn't make sense for me. Way too hot for that. In such cases the vest would be a separate and made from very light weight suiting including the back. This would never be worn with a jacket.

Seriously, I can't even imagine wearing anything more than a shirt in hot weather though. If you are always cold though go for it

gsugsu

Reaction score
I'd say do it especially if it matches your choice for the suit lining. Not everyone will agree but it is something that will rarely be seen anyway.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fine.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have almost that exact configuration, although my lining is more like a dark plum, maybe three shades darker? I love it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads