• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purple Velvet blazer Urgent!!! Help!!!

ciroc

Reaction score
I just bought a purple velvet blazer. I am in law school and intended to wear it to our annual banquet. However, at a loss on what to color of pants/tie/pocket square/shoes to pair it with.

My original idea was: black pants, a white or sunset orange shirt with a golden brown patterned ascot or a bow tie. But developing cold feet. lol!

I am not sure if purple velvet is appropriate but I dont want to look like everyone else in white shirts /black suits. Blue shirt / red tie.

PLEASE HELP! event is next week.

Thanks.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ciroc
I just bought a purple velvet blazer. I am in law school and intended to wear it to our annual banquet. However, at a loss on what to color of pants/tie/pocket square/shoes to pair it with. My original idea was: black pants, a white or sunset orange shirt with a golden brown patterned ascot or a bow tie. But developing cold feet. lol! I am not sure if purple velvet is appropriate but I dont want to look like everyone else in white shirts /black suits. Blue shirt / red tie. PLEASE HELP! event is next week. Thanks.
Return the blazer. You are not
how-to-draw-the-prince-logo.png

hypostatic

Reaction score
Black or midnight navy pants with a white shirt (and ONLY white). Open collar or black or navy ascot. Make sure the blazer fits perfectly.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return it unless you're taking the piss. You're going to look like a buffoon.

Of course, since most of your classmates will probably be jobless and covered in a mountain of debt pretty soon, you might want to wear it with orange pants to drive home the point that the Joke(r) is on all of you.

Har har.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
^ Are you now edmorel?
plain.gif
Wear it with a midnight navy pant and white shirt.

This ^, add a dark quiet tie of some sort, and have fun.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Wear it with a midnight navy pant and white shirt. DO NOT wear orange with it or you will look like the joker.

Probably want to avoid green for the same reason.

Jokers.jpg

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Are you now edmorel?
plain.gif

Wear it with a midnight navy pant and white shirt. DO NOT wear orange with it or you will look like the joker.

This. I have one and it will be fine. Wear it as you would a navy blazer. Have fun.

pendragon

Reaction score
If you're going to wear purple velvet, you might as well go the whole hog. Orange shirt FTW.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Are you now edmorel?
plain.gif

lol8[1].gif

I would not wear a purple velvet coat to a law school event. I myself have dressed rather outlandishly to my law school events, but never purple velvet coat. It's just too pimp/Austin Powers for a young guy to pull off.

Now, if you're in your 50s+ with a touch of grey hair and it's a dinner jacket, then that's another matter altogether.

Black and navy velvet are ok by me. Hell, even burgundy or deep green are ok. But purple's not a color I'd recommend.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Purple velvet is not appropriate for a law school related event.

You should be able to get some useful wear out of it, after all Halloween is tomorrow.

ciroc

Reaction score
^ Are you now edmorel?
plain.gif

Thanks. Will take a picture and see how I look before I take the plunge.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads