Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Purple Shirt Tie Match?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by galway, Jan 6, 2009.

1. galway

galway Member

I recently decided to make my first foray into purple shirts. I've got one solid and one base-white-purple-stripe and am looking for tie suggestions, especially what colour to wear. I'm not a big fan of shirt/tie colour matching but am thinking about a different shade. The solid shirt is a relatively light shade and the stripe is a sharper colour, both slim fit and spread collar. What works best in your experience?

2. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

One color I like wearing with french blue or purplish colors is gold or possible a more mute sunflower yellow... might be worth a shot.
    I feel like a similar tone such as lilac or lavender on an unusual color like that might not work.

3. unjung

unjung Senior member

I certainly would try navy, and dare I say, a green such as this?

[​IMG]

4. barims

barims Senior member

+ 1 to Harry. In addition to those colours, I also like navy, green (and I think the tone can vary widely as long as the contrast isn't too painful and the tie is not a shiny material) and patterned red and burgundy. I have similar shirts to yours, galway, and if anything, I think silver and grey ties are the most difficult to work with, so mine are patterned to make the look interesting. For a black or deep charcoal tie, try a dark grey suit

5. shoeme

shoeme Well-Known Member

One color I like wearing with french blue or purplish colors is gold or possible a more mute sunflower yellow... might be worth a shot.
    I feel like a similar tone such as lilac or lavender on an unusual color like that might not work.

+1

Pretty much any shade of yellow to gold seems to work. great contrast.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Remember to think contrasting colors: So the spectrum from orange around to green is the most obvious reach:

[​IMG]

Adjacents in the right tone can work too, for example, a light pink against lilac.

7. rsgould

rsgould Well-Known Member

I have recently considered this problem myself.

+1 to navy and green, definitely. Perhaps a navy/green stripe, as attached.

Also consider black grenadine or black knit, or deep burgundy/bordeaux depending on how light the purple is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 3stylelife

3stylelife Active Member

I agree that golds and yellows work well, also green (deep or pastel). If the solid color shirt is a deep purple, I think a silver/light gray would be an unusual, but effective choice.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Maybe something like this? [​IMG] Shirt is a bit darker in real life.

10. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

I recently decided to make my first foray into purple shirts. I've got one solid and one base-white-purple-stripe and am looking for tie suggestions, especially what colour to wear. I'm not a big fan of shirt/tie colour matching but am thinking about a different shade. The solid shirt is a relatively light shade and the stripe is a sharper colour, both slim fit and spread collar. What works best in your experience?

Coincidently, I was also looking at a solid purple shirt. Mine is a darker shade of purple.