• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purple label suit

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
this suit reminds me of something a NFL player would wear when drafted

...or perhaps when announcing one's "comeback" at age 37...

It does seem a bit bold, but hey, it is a navy windowpane after all. Depends on what you wear with it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pattern aside, the suit is a few yeas old, seeing as it is "Made in England" (Chester Barrie) and not one of the newer tagged "Made in Italy" (St. Andrews) suits. As much as I like CB RTW quality, I question if the garment has not been previously worn / altered.

Jon.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I question if the garment has not been previously worn / altered.
It certainly has been. Condition is "very good" and description notes "slight pilling."

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. It's a little bold. I think it'd be more of an NFL/NBA thing if it were an entire suit in this fabric and, as someone else said, there were 4 or more buttons up the front. As just a blazer, I think paired with gray flannel slacks and a nice light-colored shirt, one would have a pretty good look. Assuming the jacket is still in pretty good (used) condition, the winner of this auction got a pretty darn good deal as this was certainly over $2000 when new.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda liked that jacket, I was interested at around $100, but I couldn't help but think my friends were going to say "with the 5th pick of the 2004 NFL draft..." whenever I wore it
smile.gif
$140 is not a bad deal, I agree. I think the brioni jacket I got instead (on the other post) was not bad either though.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a guy wearing this exact suit a few years back, and it looked quite good. It is made for a person with a tall, slim build.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Why are sportscasters and football players so into windowpane? Everytime I watch a sports channel, I see at least 83,495 window pane suits.

Phil

Reaction score
Not that Alan Flusser is the bible when it comes to stuff like this, but he mentions windowpane suits in "dressing the man", and I quite agree with him:

The windowpane worsted has always featured low along the rank and file, while its standing with the well-starched set has never been higher...for the initiated, the pattern's individuality and popular neglect are two of its main attractions, the third being its salutary effect on the male figure. Longer in length than width, its upright rectangular formation subtly elongates, unlike the stripe, which works its magic in more conspicuous ways. Another plus is its facility for harmoniously combining with a second or third pattern.

I own one windowpane, a very heavy charcoal flannel, with a chalkstripe windowpane. its a 3-piece model. I had to be talked into getting it made, but havent regretted it a bit.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this suit reminds me of something a NFL player would wear when drafted. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....36&rd=1
forgive me for sounding like a troll, but i think what you are really saying saying is "this suit looks like something a black dude would wear." when you guys say nfl/nba player, i don't think you're referring to joe montana or steve nash. let's drop the p.c. labels and say what we mean. being overly sensitive to race makes people sound racist to me.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The windowpane worsted has always featured low along the rank and file, while its standing with the well-starched set has never been higher...for the initiated, the pattern's individuality and popular neglect are two of its main attractions, the third being its salutary effect on the male figure.  Longer in length than width, its upright rectangular formation subtly elongates, unlike the stripe, which works its magic in more conspicuous ways.  Another plus is its facility for harmoniously combining with a second or third pattern

Guys,

Is it me (and I admit to a great deal of professional envy beforehand), or does Flusser need a writing coach?

I think what he's actually trying to say is:

Gentleman who are new to the practice of dressing well tend to avoid windowpane-patterned suits. However, men with more sartorial experience add these suits readily to their wardrobe. Windowpanes are a great way to make you look taller inconspicuously, and are easy to match with other patterns.

BTW, I finally figured out the quote function. Yay for me, and watch out for me now in ideological debates.

Oh yeah, the windowpane is a bit large and conspicuous for me, particularly in my present porcine condition, but I have a vested Valentino in a smaller navy with french blue combination...Fabric isn't as nice though. $140.00 was a good price for this coat.

TomW

Reaction score
I don't think it's ugly at all, a bit bold perhaps... I am a huge fan of windowpane - suits an sportcoats both - and have several in my wardrobe. 3 suits in various shades of navy ( one with a lighter blue windowpane, one with a burgundy windowpane and one with a cream/ecru windowpane), 2 in gray (burgundy, and black windowpanes respectively) and a royal blue sportcoat with tan, and a fawn sportcoat with cream. I get many compliments on all of them - and the best part is that since many people are afraid to wear them, they can often be found at significant discount.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
forgive me for sounding like a troll, but i think what you are really saying saying is "this suit looks like something a black dude would wear."

when you guys say nfl/nba player, i don't think you're referring to joe montana or steve nash.

Ok, I'll bite. I don't think you can make the blanket black guy/gaudy suit assumption in this situation, because, quite honestly, there still remains a bit of differentiation between different draft day outfits. For instance, I would have been quite surprised if Emeka Okafor greeted Mr. Stern in a purple-pinstripe suit with a feather cap. Josh Howard was equally conservative in his appearance. In contrast, I wouldnt be surprised to see Sebastian Telfair showing up in an electric blue windowpane style jacket. For the record, I dont recall his outfit. I see it more as a class difference rather than a strict split along racial lines. A white boy corollary would be the appearance of Jason Williams--the wannabe point who cant dress or run an offense.

The white players aren't dressed nearly as flashy since the majority of them are direct imports from Eastern Europe (e.g. still living in the shadow of the consumer poor USSR fallout).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads