1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Purple label suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JuniorJetSet

JuniorJetSet Well-Known Member

Not that I'm interested in that particular suit but a Ralph Lauren Purple Label for $140? Isn't it safe to assume that its either used or a fake?

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

It is used, and it is ebay, that's not particularly cheap for a jacket that is several years old.

As for the other issue, I think norcal is right in saying that it is more of a class difference than anything else. You get white NBA players who sign multimillion dollar contracts "blinging" just as much as their black counterparts. This apparently comes out of a need to express their newfound wealth in as obvious a way as possible.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Originally Posted by drizzt3117,09 Sep. 2004, 1:23
    this suit reminds me of something a NFL player would wear when drafted. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....36&rd=1
    forgive me for sounding like a troll, but i think what you are really saying saying is "this suit looks like something a black dude would wear." when you guys say nfl/nba player, i don't think you're referring to joe montana or steve nash. let's drop the p.c. labels and say what we mean. being overly sensitive to race makes people sound racist to me.
    [​IMG]

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

forgive me for sounding like a troll, but i think what you are really saying saying is "this suit looks like something a black dude would wear." when you guys say nfl/nba player, i don't think you're referring to joe montana or steve nash.
    Ok, I'll bite. Â I don't think you can make the blanket black guy/gaudy suit assumption in this situation, because, quite honestly, there still remains a bit of differentiation between different draft day outfits. Â For instance, I would have been quite surprised if Emeka Okafor greeted Mr. Stern in a purple-pinstripe suit with a feather cap. Â Josh Howard was equally conservative in his appearance. Â In contrast, I wouldnt be surprised to see Sebastian Telfair showing up in an electric blue windowpane style jacket. Â For the record, I dont recall his outfit. Â I see it more as a class difference rather than a strict split along racial lines. Â A white boy corollary would be the appearance of Jason Williams--the wannabe point who cant dress or run an offense. The white players aren't dressed nearly as flashy since the majority of them are direct imports from Eastern Europe (e.g. still living in the shadow of the consumer poor USSR fallout).
    i know what you're saying. i don't follow american sports very closely so i don't know who those guys are that you mentioned, but i'll take your word for it. Â i mean that the so-called 'gaudy suits' are, in my experience, mostly worn by blacks. this is not a look limited to young professional athletes. steve harvey and bernie mac, chris rock, sinbad, etc... these guys wear the lavender 5-button suits and they ain't playing pro sports. there's a place on hollywood boulevard called "hollywood suit outlet." they'll sell you 4 suits, 4 ties, 4 shirts and 4 pairs of socks for $399. i only see brothers working and shopping there. the suits range from lime green to purple to hot pink if you want it. we all know it's a black thing, c'mon. quit frontin'.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Matador you seem way too quick to jump on the racial judgements. I don't think anyone here was referring to black men when commenting about this suit (I for one hadn't the thought in the farthest reaches of my consciousness...). Furthermore, even if I (I'll speak for myself here, don't want to get in trouble) was talking specifically about black men, I wouldn't think that it would be taken as a derogatory statement, as you seem to believe.

What is your obsession with making sure everyone here knows that you don't like the way all black men dress? I would be more sensitive in my question but you make huge generalizations in every post you make on the subject. Even those black men who have an extreme flamboyance to their style (Andre 3000) are still widely admired by people of all races, including many members of this forum. While I would look absolutely rediculous trying to use his style on my frail, albino-esque frame (and this goes for nearly every black style-icon, including Cam'Ron, whom I have nothing but both the greatest contempt for as well as admiration), these styles definitely have a place in modern fashion.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

How about those who are on the opposite end of the spectrum - Clay Aiken, Orlando Bloom, Maroon 5, whose style is so hideously boring, archetypal, and so utterly GAP. Would you make mention of them and place a stereotype that all white men dress with such austerity as them? Of course not...

7. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

Cooler than Andre 3000...

pharrell williams

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I loved that place, and even bought a suit there, just for kicks (well, actually, I got a suit, tie, shirt and shoes for just under $100.) And I'm Asian. Saw the coolest Emporio Armani suit there too (a suit with a hood. The jacket was very cool. Neil Barrett did a nearly identical jacket a few seasons later.

9. matadorpoeta

no, of course not. but please show me where i said that all black men wear purple 5-button suits. Â i can say that tamales are mexican food and i'd be right. that doesn't mean that all mexicans like or eat tamales. Â geez. laguy, the suits in that store look like costumes to me. if i wanted to be the joker for halloween, that's the place i'd look. [​IMG]

10. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Distinguished Member

I think matadorpoeta has very limited contact with blacks. I live in Connecticut and I don't see blacks dress in that style. People in entertainment and a store in Hollywood do not represent "Black Style" or make anything a "black thing".

11. matadorpoeta

i don't see what your living in connecticut has to do with anything. where i live you see relatively few people wearing suits, period, but i've seen this "draft pick/black comedian" look on regular guys from time to time. it's always on a black guy, so to me, it's a black thing. wasn't there a thread a few months ago by someone who was complaining about some black guy at his work who didn't dress professionally? i can't find that thread now, but if i recall correctly it had to do with a black guy who was an excellent employee in every way, but chose to wear lavender and such, rather than the navy and charcoal that would have been more appropriate at that company. anyone remember that thread? found it here.

12. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Distinguished Member

Matador:
    I mentioned Connecticut simply as a point of reference, since I have never been to L.A or any where that far west.
    I have saw people from other races dressed in that style, less than I've saw blacks but some. I remember a Latino/Chicano comedian dress in that manner, have saw Hispanics pimps on T.V dressed like that. If anyone ever saw Pimps Up, Ho's Down, there where White people dressed like that on there.
    I think it's could be classified as a pimp thing, something people with lower incomes thing maybe or even a Midwest thing just as quickly as it could be called a black thing.

13. matadorpoeta

now you're just making me laugh. let's just leave television, movies etc... out of the discussion. in real life i have seen men wearing these outfits to job interviews, funerals, etc... they have always been black. Â that's not to say they have bad taste. i'm not making any criticism of that. i'm only recognizing a style. did you read the thread i linked to in my previous post? why do you think cristobal felt the need to be sensitive toward the guy instead of just telling him he was dressed inappropriately?

14. matadorpoeta

and for the record, latino pimps don't wear suits. you must have seen a film depicting the 1940's.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Chinese pimps wear lots of black. Usually black on black on black. With silver jewelry. Gucci is generally the label of choice, with Versace and Dolce & Gabbana distance runners up. Sunglasses at night are not uncommon - Dior, Prada or Gucci. There is a very intricate hierarchy of pimps, pimp-daddies, bishops, etc... Often, they settle scores by way of kungfu matches, often in nightclubs. Just last week, there was a big commotion when Dong Lon Wang walked with his entourage into a very famous Hong Kong nightspot that belonged to Hung Re Low without showing proper deference. I'm sure a lot of hoes in Dong's stable were slapped up that night, since he and his men were soundly beaten and thrown out of the club, and lost a lot of face.