1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Purple Label a little less common, a lot more expensive

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChiliPalmer, Oct 25, 2010.

1. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

So I inquire about a Purple Label overcoat for Fall of 2010. It's been on the floor less than two weeks. Obviously not marked down yet.

$7,500. Pure cashmere.

Completely sold out of my size.

They made only 18 units for the entire company. Across all sizes. No more are forthcoming.

My SA tells me they are trying to increase the rarity of the pieces. I assume it also has to do with less need for discounting at the end of the season.

$7,500 for an OTR overcoat. I imagine bespoke Fioravanti can be had for the same, perhaps less.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

if you are looking to drop 7500 on an overcoat, you can do a lot better than RLPL. Pretty much any of the well known tailors can do one up for you, in high quality cashmere, for less than that. Not sure about Fioravanti though, I thought his suits started at 10K.

3. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

if you are looking to drop 7500 on an overcoat, you can do a lot better than RLPL. Pretty much any of the well known tailors can do one up for you, in high quality cashmere, for less than that. Not sure about Fioravanti though, I thought his suits started at 10K.
    I just threw Fioravanti out there as a general example. Two things shocked me: That they are asking $7,500 for an overcoat and that more than one person has readily agreed to pay it. Anybody out there have experience with top tier bespoke overcoats?

4. Butter

Butter Senior member

It's not in my league but I can't see it as shocking as their regular cashmere sportscoats go for $3-4K MSRP. $7.5 for an overcoat doesn't seem out of line if that's their pricing scheme.

5. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

I just threw Fioravanti out there as a general example. Two things shocked me: That they are asking $7,500 for an overcoat and that more than one person has readily agreed to pay it.

Anybody out there have experience with top tier bespoke overcoats?

RLPL is popular with celebs and stars. If there are only 18 it's not surprising that theyre sold out.

6. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If they only made 18 they likely sold most/all of those between China and Russia.

Even so the odds you'll ever see one exactly like yours are pretty low. Does bespoke do limited editions?

7. bbhewee

bbhewee Senior member

Rarity: isn't that just another way of saying they want to carry less stock to maintain sell through and have less end up in outlets?

8. ralphwho

ralphwho Well-Known Member

If we forget about these limited "18 units" run kinda thing, and look at the wider picture what percentage of RLPL do you reckon is actually sold at MSRP? What is the business model?

I think most would agree that RLPL MSRP is too high compared with less widely known but more traditional brands (from where the goods are sourced anyway)

9. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Now wait just one damn minute. Are you people telling me that there are expensive clothes?!

This is outrageous!!

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

that MSRP for a cashmere overcoat is not too far off from the retail prices of say, Kiton or Attolini, who RLPL is positioning themselves to be in the same league as.

11. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Rarity: isn't that just another way of saying they want to carry less stock to maintain sell through and have less end up in outlets?

Inventory management. AKA good management.

12. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

Inventory management. AKA good management.

Good management = 18 units of any RLPL item. That's ridiculous. As if it would be made less exclusive if they made 200 worldwide. That's way less than one per store, you'd still never see someone else with it. The way I see it, I'm positive the Rodeo store near me could move 18 of those. I'm absolutely sure of it. I'm also sure there are 10 more RL stores this holds true for. I mean, 18 is barely 2 units per flagship store.

The thing is it's just not a crazy enough item to be that rare. If it were a $50,000 diamond-encrusted watch, 18 total would make much more sense (and yes, I realize that exact watch isn't part of the RL aesthetic, but just for the sake of example).

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

If fools will pay that, then good on them.

In the meatime a tailor would do a bespoke over coat of the highest quality that would fit at less than that sum. The power of brands.

14. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

Over the past several years RL has gotten burned by mis-estimating demand and producing too much quantity of various items and then having to super-discount these to sell them (in particular RLPL). Hence, RLPL prices have been chopped to the bone in recent years making it easy for anyone who doesn't need something immediately to get at least 50% off MSRP--and many times 75% off. This has reduced the cache of the RLPL brand. The response to this has been to approach sales from the other side--offering too little supply. This will try to boost the "Veblen good"-effect of an RLPL good by increasing its scarcity. RL knows it can sell more than 18 cashmere coats. But how many will it sell at full MSRP? It is being overly cautious to ensure all will be sold.

15. Valor

Valor Senior member

I think the question should be, who makes the overcoats for RLPL and do they sell it for way cheaper?

16. junior varsity

junior varsity Senior member

i agree with the exclusivity issue...
    when people who shouldnt be wearing the item are wearing it because they got it from TJ MAX or Marshall, or even Nieman outlet... it makes the brand less prestigious

like if someone from the ghetto rolling around in a 3 year old benz s-class that was previous $100,000, but it has depreciated like a rock. that makes the brand look bad.

same thing with clothes and watches.
    discounts = bad. it puts items in wrong peoples hands.

if clothes were never discounted, then half the people on here probably go either broke or get another hobby. lol

17. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

if clothes were never discounted, then half the people on here probably go either broke or get another hobby. lol
    Or buy from different lines........................

18. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior member

Prices in "every free market" are determined by forces of supply and demand. If RL thinks that demand will not increase if he increases the supply then he won't increase production as this would decrease the price. The concept of value is different.
    I saw on yoox a Caruso suit of price $500, and a RL Black label suit of price $1200. But as you already know it better than me, RLBL suits are made by Caruso ! So brand matters for price as well as for value because people get utility from brands ! If this were not the case, there would be an arbitrage opportunity. [​IMG]

19. ralphwho

ralphwho Well-Known Member

Seems like someone has been reading too many textbooks wihtout understanding the words in them

20. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Can someone share with me what this thread is about?