• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purple Hearts (Poll!!!!)

Mr T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eqpablon
A hero doesn't tap his chest and let you know that he recieved a Purple Heart. A hero will never regale you with "war stories". They will never tell you about the time their buddy was shot, and the sick empty feeling one gets as he helplessly held his buddy in his arms and watched his best friend take his last breath. A hero doesn't come home and tell his friends about the time he had to recover body parts from the latest Vehicle Borne IED blast to hit his platoons patrol. Never going into detail about how IED blasts can literally cause the skin to melt and attach the victim to the seat fabric so that you have to rip the deceased driver out of the chair as if the driver was velcro'd in place.

**** those medal tappers. Sadly it appears not many of you know any "hero's".

I served in the Infantry, I know a few hero's; some recognized and awarded as such, and others not. If you do want to play the medal game, the only ones that tend to indicate "heroism" would have a "V" (valor) device attached. A CPT serving on administrative staff will get a Bronze Star just for deploying, not heroic.

Thank you. I do know of one such hero. He didn't make it back from Iraq alive but I know if he had he would have rolled his eyes at the mention of his medals and got back to work. As it is, his posthumous medals will hopefully be a comfort to his daughter in the years to come.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The word "hero" is very overworked and misused in contemporary American culture--to an annoying degree. A serviceperson who has been wounded in the line of duty in combat may or may not be a hero. Someone is not ipso facto a hero because he got wounded--he simply got wounded, and according to American military tradition, that makes him or her deserving of the Purple Heart...and that's fine with me.
I couldn't have said it better. Have we, as a country, gone soft? It used to take a lot of sacrifice to earn this praise. Now, anybody could be a hero for simply doing his job.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
If nothing else, a purple heart is evidence that the person saw some combat, of some sort and is a very real symbol of their willingness to risk their health and lives to do their job.
Or you could just look for a Combat Action Ribbon or Combat Infantryman Badge(depending on branch). For current events, sorry I left that out. Not sure how far back those awards date back but I know the Army one is fairly new. And all of the older Purple Heart holders in my family never let the family know. They are always found when digging through their stuff after they are deceased.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend's father, who has 3 Purple Hearts (and countless other medals) always told me Purple Hearts are awards for the enemy.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Now this I understand. You don't seem to agree with your father.

PS Did I add the poll is public?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Plus many on all three points.

Murtha's military career was nothing short of extraordinary. A Paris Island DI turned mustang officer. Remained in the Reserves after an honorable discharge only to volunteer for active service in Viet Nam - where he received a bronze star and two purple hearts. He retired in 1990 after 38 years in the Corp.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=52

Bump.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIL. CE poal in General Chat.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...7&postcount=52

Bump.

Again, the two hearts Murtha received are not necessarily indicators of heroism.

The fact that he volunteered to return to active duty to fight in an unpopular war, after completing what was already a sound military career, is very impressive - though I'm not sure heroic is most apt.

I have not seen his bronze star citation, but that IS a medal for heroism in combat.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
FAIL. CE poal in General Chat.
Do you mean that this poll regards current events, power or money? Do tell.
Again, the two hearts Murtha received are not necessarily indicators of heroism. The fact that he volunteered to return to active duty to fight in an unpopular war, after completing what was already a sound military career, is very impressive - though I'm not sure heroic is most apt. I have not seen his bronze star citation, but that IS a medal for heroism in combat.
Still, it is mentioned as a(n extraordinary) positive by you. I know you didn't mention heroism, I thought it implied...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I'm proud to have never received an enemy marksmanship medal!"

Former Commander of SEAL Team 6 Richard "Dick" Marcinko

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads