1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Purely social events

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Parterre, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Parterre

Parterre Well-Known Member

Time to time I will read the New York Social Diary to catch up on what everybody is doing. On my most recent visit, something occured to me- just about every event seemed to be some kind of benefit or award ceremony. Thus my question: whatever happened to the purely social event- held for personal reasons, a holiday, or "just because"?

When the Vanderbilts snubbed the Astors, it wasn't over a cancer charity. Why the change?

2. otc

otc Senior member

Because if you aren't doing it for a charity (and honestly a lot of these things spend as much or more on the event than they end up actually sending to the charity), you will get a bunch of 99%er protestors staking out your red carpet

3. Parterre

My question still stands.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Why would the media want to cover/photograph/blog random parties? They no doubt happen but I can promise you it's not being reported on. Also, like OTC suggested, people feel better about dressing up for charity events/awards/etc (aka a purpose) and not random events.

5. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Such essentially social events still occur (just as fundraisers occurred back in the day), but a fundraiser for, say, cancer research might involve 600 guests (some of them celebrities, of various status), in a public venue, with P.R. people representing both the cause and the celebrities actively courting media attention.

Whereas a modern day Astor or Vanderbilt, inviting some friends/acquaintances/associates over to his duplex at Park and 53rd, for a dinner party, is something entirely different. It's a private setting, involving few people, quite likely none of them pop stars, professional athletes, or other celebrities of a particularly trendy sort. There are no P.R. people working the event. And, indeed, in certain circles a host with a reputation for courting attention for such get togethers may well acquire a negative reputation amongst his potential guests, since publicity and the public spotlight is decidedly not something his guests value, as a general rule. Courting media attention is regarded by many as vulgar. Certainly, exceptions may sometimes be made for a worthy cause, but not for a private dinner party.

I hope this helps explain why you may hear lots about the former sort of event, but relatively little about the latter sort of event.

6. Parterre

Thank you- in hindsight that seems obvious.